Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Need help with ideas for guinea pig loft

LazyChazy

Cavy Gazer
I have two guinea pigs and a big cage, but I feel like it's sorta small and want to build a loft for them. My cage is homemade and is not compatible with C&C. I need help with ideas for the loft and ramp. One of my guinea pigs refuses to go up super steep ramps, and the other one is way too fast, so sometimes he can crash into fences. I'm afraid that he might fall off and get hurt. What should I do?

KyKyMarie77

Cavy Slave
I am in the process of building my own cage right now, so I figured I’d give a few tips I learned:) firstly if you are building a ramp 45 degrees is the most you can go as it can be discouraging to guinea pigs especially when they get older to have to go up a steep ramp, secondly make sure you put some sort of border on the sides of it to make it so they can’t fall off the sides. What kind of loft are you thinking about building, and could you attach a picture of your cage?

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Have you had a chance to look in this site's Photo galleries? On the top of the screen, next to the Forum tab is a Photo tab. Click that and you will see tens of thousands of pictures that members have shared over the years. There are sections completely devoted to lofts and ramps. I've picked up many a creative idea from looking at the photos and hopefully you will find them to be helpful for your project.

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
The ramps sold at the GuineaPigPages store are 25" long for a 14" rise, which comes out to about 32.6 degrees... I wouldn't go much steeper than that. Especially if one of your pigs doesn't really like ramps. Definite agree on the railings around the loft though; guinea pigs don't have good depth perception. And SSLee is right -- the Photo galleries are amazing for ideas!

Good luck with your build!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
The ramps sold at the GuineaPigPages store are 25" long for a 14" rise, which comes out to about 32.6 degrees... I wouldn't go much steeper than that.

You might want to check out a thread that I made quite some time ago entitled Making a Reinforced Coroplast Ramp. This ramp is very similar to what is sold on the parent site of this forum. That being said, I generally don't have the patience to make my own and just resort to buying it.

(broken link removed)

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
An even better idea is a loft that is no more than 6” high so they don’t need a ramp. Taller ramps are sometimes dangerous since guinea pigs can get easily injured from falls. And they don’t really have depth perception so they don’t know how high up they are. A low loft offers open space underneath for hiding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.