Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated My piggies still don't seem to get used to me!

Peachy_

Cavy Slave
Hello, everyone!
My babies were born in November and I got them in december/19. I searched a lot of stuff by the time and I realized they take long to like their owner and such... However, they're with me for 3 months now and they still seem not to know me!! In fact, it seem that we got worse :( idk i did wrong!! Any tips or suggestions?

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Many guinea pigs are jumpy and hide when approached. They are prey animals and always expect to be attacked. However, they usually warm up a bit if you use veggies and talkto them. Call them by name or use a phrase that they can associate with food. Mine knows her name, so when I say, “ Hey, Lacey” she comes running for food. Repeat this often throughout the day giving a little piece of veggie each time.

They may never like being picked up, but usually will relax once they’re on your lap.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Ditto ItsaZoo !!

Most piggies will always run from getting picked up. When you scoop them up from above, all their swooping-hawk-is-about-to-eat-me instincts kick in.Try your best not to loom over them too much, and block the entrances to their hideys so you can catch them quicker.

For me the absolute best way to bond with your piggies is spend lots of time hand feeding them their favorite veggies. Let them come to you at first, and talk softly to them and say their names. Soon they'll associate your hands and voice with yummy treats and happy things. Then you can ease into petting them and picking them up more and more. Just take it slow and never give up! :)

Peachy_

Cavy Slave
Thank you, guys! I will follow your tips for sure! I like my babies so much and I want to pet them very much!!
xoxo

Peachy_

Cavy Slave
Thank you!!!!

Peachy_

Cavy Slave
Honestly it filled me with hope! Ty so much, and guess what?! One of my babies now lets me pet her chin ��

LaVitaEBella

Cavy Slave
I am happy to know that you are starting to create a good bound with your piggies.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Honestly it filled me with hope! Ty so much, and guess what?! One of my babies now lets me pet her chin ��

Yay!!! That's wonderful! I'm so glad I could help :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.