Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Is a 4x4 C&C cage good for 3 males?

  1. #1
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 25, 2020
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Is a 4x4 C&C cage good for 3 males?

    I currently have 2 male guinea pigs in a 4x4 c&c cage and Iím planning on getting a third male, possibly even 4 if it is possible. Also do guinea pigs prefer length than width??

  2. #2
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,029
    Thanks
    187
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3908 Post(s)

    Re: Is a 4x4 C&C cage good for 3 males?

    The cage is large enough, but three males living together fails about 99.98% of the time. Two will probably work, a large herd might work, but three? It's a recipe for disaster, and we never recommend it. It's also entirely possible to wind up with three solo pigs, none of which will live either of the others. If I were you, I'd keep the two I have and forget about a third or fourth.

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jan 05, 2020
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Is a 4x4 C&C cage good for 3 males?

    It won't be a good idea to keep three male guineas in a containment even if it the cage is big enough. Same thing goes two female guinea pigs.

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave Soecara's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 18, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,828
    Thanks
    4
    Thanks
    509 Rec'd/430 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)

    Re: Is a 4x4 C&C cage good for 3 males?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaVitaEBella View Post
    It won't be a good idea to keep three male guineas in a containment even if it the cage is big enough. Same thing goes two female guinea pigs.
    You are correct about three boars usually being a bad idea, but it is very common and almost never an issue to keep two females together in a correctly sized cage.

  5. #5
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 25, 2020
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Is a 4x4 C&C cage good for 3 males?

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    The cage is large enough, but three males living together fails about 99.98% of the time. Two will probably work, a large herd might work, but three? It's a recipe for disaster, and we never recommend it. It's also entirely possible to wind up with three solo pigs, none of which will live either of the others. If I were you, I'd keep the two I have and forget about a third or fourth.
    Okay thank you. What number would you consider as a "large heard?" Also would it be possible to keep two males and one spayed female? Or vice versa?
    Last edited by ericj445; 03-25-20 at 08:17 pm.

  6. #6
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,029
    Thanks
    187
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3908 Post(s)

    Re: Is a 4x4 C&C cage good for 3 males?

    @Candalala is right -- you can't put multiple males with females, but one male with several females is fine.

    And by a large herd I mean five or more, but you need LOTS of room for that many males together.

  7. #7
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 25, 2020
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Is a 4x4 C&C cage good for 3 males?

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    @Candalala is right -- you can't put multiple males with females, but one male with several females is fine.

    And by a large herd I mean five or more, but you need LOTS of room for that many males together.
    Thank y'all. Also, just curious, how big would the cage have to be for five males?

  8. #8
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,029
    Thanks
    187
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3908 Post(s)

    Re: Is a 4x4 C&C cage good for 3 males?

    Probably 20 square feet.

    But you still don't have much of a chance of making this work. I'd strongly recommend two cages with two pigs in each rather than trying to build a herd.

  9. #9
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 25, 2020
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Is a 4x4 C&C cage good for 3 males?

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Probably 20 square feet.

    But you still don't have much of a chance of making this work. I'd strongly recommend two cages with two pigs in each rather than trying to build a herd.
    Don't worry I am going to just keep my 4 by 4 with 2 males Thanks.

  10. #10
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,029
    Thanks
    187
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3908 Post(s)

    Re: Is a 4x4 C&C cage good for 3 males?

    Good choice! Keep us posted on how you and they are doing!

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •