Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Water Choices

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone! So with my years of caring for my piggies I've learned a great deal thanks to all the information on this forum. My girls are healthy and I do have 2 senior piggies reaching 8 years of age very soon. For the longest time I avoided giving my girls mineral water, and plain tap water. I do not have a filter, but managed to buy me a really nice water dispenser for me and my family https://www.avalonh2o.com/products/a14-bottom-loading-water-cooler. Now, I'm perfectly fine just buying water on the side for my piggies but in your experiences, what water would you consider best for the piggies? I've read anywhere from spring water being bad as it contains too many natural minerals. I wouldn't give purified mineral water due to the added minerals it has either. Distilled is not an option. What water brands do you currently give your piggies? Currently trying to search for a water company that will benefit me and my piggies both. I give them Crystal Geyser Spring water which is sort of contradicting due to what I said before about JUST finding out about spring water. I'm only asking because of my senior piggies. They are both healthy but I've altered their diets due to age. What input can you give me on water for the dispenser and or if it isn't a good idea and I should just buy water on the side for them. I'm also open to any suggestions on a filter to use if needed. What water source is best? Thanks in advance!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
My cavies have always enjoyed the same filtered water that we drink. It really depends on how much you want to spend for a filtration system. Reverse osmosis is probably more expensive than the average filter system. We use the PUR faucet system for both piggies and people and have been quite satisfied with the taste and ease of use.....all at a reasonable cost.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Quick question to those who are experienced. Is it safe to give Alkaline water? Out of water for right now and won't see a proper delivery until tomorrow. My house is in stable temperature and my piggies are well. I'm curious if its safe to give once, or even full time.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It probably won't hurt them for a day, but I wouldn't give it on a regular basis.

LaVitaEBella

Cavy Slave
A good rule is to offer your guinea pigs the same type of plain water that you drink. If you drink tap water, that's fine for your guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.