Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Poop problems/ Diarrhea?

Molly24

Cavy Slave
My one guinea pig has been showing signs of diarrhea in her poop but otherwise appears fine. Her poop is slimier than normal. She has been like this for about a week and a half now. I initially thought it was caused by overeating some fresh veggies (cucumbers and carrots) but would have thought it would pass by now if that were truly the case. She is eating her pellets and hay fine and drinking water normally too. Her cagemate is fine as well. Normally by this point I would have taken her to the vet (I have an exotic vet I have used before so we're good on there) but because of the social distancing going on right now, the vet is only taking emergency appointments and my girl appears to be fine other than her concerning poop.

My questions are:
1. If it is a case of overeating fresh veggies, how long would it take to pass through her system? I stopped giving fresh veggies about a week ago (daily scoop of pellets and plenty of hay are always available as is water)
2. Is there anything I can do or give her while we wait for life to return to normal and I can schedule something with the vet?
3. Like I said, she is eating and drinking normally, so I'm not actually sure if it's diarrhea or fresh veggies bloating, is there anything else it could be?

Thank you for any help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Food passes through a pig's system in 24-36 hours. Slimy poop is a sign of digestive upset, but if she's eating and drinking normally, I'd give her a probiotic. You can get Bene-Bac from Amazon if you can't find it locally.

Slime isn't a sign of diarrhea. Diarrhea is full-on loose, liquid stools, and is an emergency. Slime, soft poops, misshapen poops are signs of digestive problems, but don't necessarily indicate diarrhea. They do need to be addressed, though.

Molly24

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I will try some Bene-Bac and hope that it does the trick. And honestly, I wasn't sure if it was diarrhea or not, since the poop was the only symptom but wasn't sure what else it could be. So thanks for the information!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.