Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cyst

Artrippigs

Cavy Gazer
Hi! So I’m a little nervous, I’m taking my guinea pig, Poppy, to the vet this week to have a bump in her neck checked out, it appears to be a cyst. Can I get a walk through of how they treat this? Is there a good chance she will be okay? Typically to treat/remove what is the lowest cost you have come across? The vet where I live is $20 for a check up and about $13-20 for antibiotics typically so I assume IF she needed surgery it’d be low but I’d like a ballpark estimate. Any other info would help calm my nerves lol. I like to have as much info on things as I can. Thank you!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's really no way we can tell you what it will cost. Vet costs vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Your best is just to call the vet and ask.

As far as the lump, what they have to do depends on what it is. If it's a cyst, they should remove the cyst with its sac intact, else it will come back again. Unless it's in an area close to important nerves and blood vessels, this should be fairly minor surgery that doesn't take long.

If it's cervical lymphadenitis, it's a bacterial infection. They should open it to let it drain, give you equipment and instructions for flushing it several times a day to get the pus out and let it heal from the inside out, and put her on antibiotics. If this is what it is, you should handle her with gloves when flushing it, as you can also pick up the infection.

Artrippigs

Cavy Gazer
Very informative! Thank you so much.

Artrippigs

Cavy Gazer
Update: I took her to get her abscess drained yesterday, it’s still large, maybe swollen? Is that common? I’ve been keeping it cleaned and she’s been taking baytril once a day. Anything I should be doing besides that? The vet didn’t really tell me much

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We'd have to know whether it was a cyst or an abscess to have any idea of what to do. And whether there was a sac that was removed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.