Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Cyst

Hi! So Im a little nervous, Im taking my guinea pig, Poppy, to the vet this week to have a bump in her neck checked out, it appears to be a cyst. Can I get a walk through of how they treat this? Is there a good chance she will be okay? Typically to treat/remove what is the lowest cost you have come across? The vet where I live is $20 for a check up and about $13-20 for antibiotics typically so I assume IF she needed surgery itd be low but Id like a ballpark estimate. Any other info would help calm my nerves . I like to have as much info on things as I can. Thank you!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,283 Rec'd/5,802 Posts
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3846 Post(s)

Re: Cyst

There's really no way we can tell you what it will cost. Vet costs vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Your best is just to call the vet and ask.

As far as the lump, what they have to do depends on what it is. If it's a cyst, they should remove the cyst with its sac intact, else it will come back again. Unless it's in an area close to important nerves and blood vessels, this should be fairly minor surgery that doesn't take long.

If it's cervical lymphadenitis, it's a bacterial infection. They should open it to let it drain, give you equipment and instructions for flushing it several times a day to get the pus out and let it heal from the inside out, and put her on antibiotics. If this is what it is, you should handle her with gloves when flushing it, as you can also pick up the infection.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very informative! Thank you so much.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Update: I took her to get her abscess drained yesterday, it’s still large, maybe swollen? Is that common? I’ve been keeping it cleaned and she’s been taking baytril once a day. Anything I should be doing besides that? The vet didn’t really tell me much

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,283 Rec'd/5,802 Posts
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3846 Post(s)

We'd have to know whether it was a cyst or an abscess to have any idea of what to do. And whether there was a sac that was removed.

User Tag List