Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements CBD oil for stressed pigs

kevstan062019

Cavy Slave
I have two male guinea pigs named Kevin and Stanley that are roughly nine months old. Other than the occasional head scratch they really don’t like to be handled. This makes trimming their nails and traveling quite stressful for them. I’ve tried different techniques to calm them but nothing seems to help. I know CBD oil has great calming properties for dogs and cats, as well as health benefits, so I was wondering if anyone here has tried CBD oil for their pigs. If you have, what brand would you recommend and how do you give it to your pigs?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
CBD oil has no proven properties at all. And there's no shortcut for taming your pigs -- it just takes enormous amounts of patience and calmness while handling them.

Your pigs may never love having their nails trimmed, but if you hold them snugly against you while trimming, they'll be much calmer. And it may help to have two people involved in the process. The liberal application of their favorite food also helps.

Traveling isn't generally the awful experience for pigs that some people think. A snug carrier, shade to protect them from the sun, lots of super-wet veggies and frequent stops to offer them water go a long way toward making it a less frightening experience. I've made trips of 8-9 hours with mine with no ill effects, and lots of pigs have gone much longer distances with no problems.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.