Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Boars started fighting... advice please!

AriaToaster

Cavy Slave
Hello! Quick backstory - I've had two males for about 5 months. One is nearly 2 years old (Josh), the other is just under a year old (Bobby). They've been together in the same enclosure for about 3 months, with no major problems. A little rumblestrutting here and there, but nothing to worry about really.
Recently Bobby went through..puberty I guess? his balls dropped and with that I noticed him being slightly more aggressive toward Josh. Still though, nothing too troublesome.
This morning though I walked in their room and noticed Josh had a little gash on his side, it looks like Bobby must have bit him. I grabbed the both to look them over and that was the only wound between the two of them. Obviously though I am very concerned. I had them in two 2x4 midwest cages that are connected by a ramp. For now, I have them separated with the ramp put up so they can't get at each other. It seems like at first they were a bit confused, and were trying to get to each other through the cage (not aggressively, just not understanding why they can't get over). Shortly after they were separated Josh started eating a bit like he didn't care about being separated, and Bobby (the aggressor) has been frantically trying to tear the fleece down from sides of the cage to burrow under them.
Is this a sign they need to be kept separate like this from now on? I don't like limiting their space to run around, they love to run from end to end of the cages and I think that's why Bobby is acting so crazy right now, but I also don't want my pigs to feel unsafe. What do you guys recommend? People who have gone through something similar with your boars, how have you coped? My biggest concern is making sure they're happy and healthy.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
My one Robert(2 ) and Jon(1) - robert has been sorta rumblestrutting around jon and taking over the beds i have in the cage...so i had to get a separate bed just for jon on his side of the cage...i have two separate plates of foods for them as well being that robert likes to eat jons portions as well..so robert is getting chunky and i now feed them separately with their own dishes....

the best thing to do is probably provided josh with his own stuff, and bobby with his own things as well that might help with bobby being aggressor ..try giving them separate things and see how that goes...also sometimes robert and jon get bored in the cage, i left them roam free in my room give them cage free time....usually ends up beign to long and they both poops on me or my bed haha but it makes them happier and its not messy poops so i can live with that...

but try giving them their space...but don't separate them into separate cages..they bonded, and when puberty hits one of them..thats when they have to "fight" to decide who's gong to be the dominant boar.

AriaToaster

Cavy Slave
I have two food dishes, two waters, two hay holders, two beds, two fleece forests, and they've had all of this the entire time they've been together. I'm not sure if I should...add another cage to the mix for even more space? Right now their cages are still connected, and can see each other, they just can't get into each other's area so each one has their own 2x4 space.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
What i did with my two large midwest cages is i connected them into one big large square - cutting down and creating my own base (being that the midwest comes with that canvas bottoms) - i use one divider for their kitchens - so they have more space to run around play, and snooze at their convience lol....if you wanna try to do instead maybe that will create more space between them so each one can just chill at their spots without feeling cramped with the dividers and stuff.

AriaToaster

Cavy Slave
Oh okay, that's a good idea. I put the ramp back down so they can go near each other again (both of them were pulling at the walls trying to get to the other side lol) and they immediately got into a nose off and teeth chattering (no biting). But it was over as fast as it started and now they're both taking a nap. These boys are stressing me out.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
ahah yeah mine like to play at night and when i turn the light on, they all of sudden freeze and act like nothing is happening. ahaha

don't worry if you can try some of those ideas, and if its works see how it goes :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.