Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Wee Wee Proof?

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
If i were to replace the bases of my large midwest cages i put together to make a huge platform for my boys...is the coroplast wee wee proof?
the canvas bottom the the cages originally came with is wee wee proof doesn't leak through the cage.
will i need to buy extra materials to prevent leaks with coroplasts?
if so, where can i buy this stuff?
does anyone recommended products they've beeen using and lining their cages with ?

i'm trying to provide the best home for my boys. need something that is easier to clean. the canvas bottom isn't as easy with the poops and wee wee combined even though i started to lay down paper towels , then fleece.

help me please :D send pics too if you have any ideas!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's nearly indestructible. Nothing bothers it.

The canvas bottom was never designed for the pigs to be directly on it. You always need some sort of bedding. Fleece only works if you have an absorbent layer underneath, and paper towels won't cut it.

There are plenty of threads on here about bedding, cages, etc. Click on forums and you'll find plenty to browse.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
It's nearly indestructible. Nothing bothers it.

The canvas bottom was never designed for the pigs to be directly on it. You always need some sort of bedding. Fleece only works if you have an absorbent layer underneath, and paper towels won't cut it.

There are plenty of threads on here about bedding, cages, etc. Click on forums and you'll find plenty to browse.

I do have bedding on top of the canvas, but its waterproof so if they do pee on the fleece that i laid out, it doesn't seep through the cage into the floor.

What i'm asking is, i have combined two super large midwest cages into a giant square, so they have plenty space and its all one level, and the canvas bottoms can't be combined because they're designed to fit one cage at a time. so im getting rid of the divider it comes with except to like create a kitchenet for the boys..the coroplasts bends in corners and snaps together into a shape. however if the fleece, and the padding underneath fleece on top of the coroplasts doesn't soak up their pee, how can i prevent it from leaking into the floor..

the corners where it connects in the coroplasts, especially since guinea pigs love to use the corners for their bathrooms, im worried it'd leak through...so what im asking if theres a solution to how i can cover the corners or prevent the leaking.....

ChinandLacey

Cavy Slave
I put hot glue along the cracks in the corners of my coroplast, but you could also use silicone or caulk.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
I put hot glue along the cracks in the corners of my coroplast, but you could also use silicone or caulk.

is the stuff toxic?

concerned because my boys like to chew and nibble on everything and anything in sight..lol including their mama but they dont hurt me they just nibble with kisses...

ChinandLacey

Cavy Slave
I put glue in just the very bottom of the corners of my coroplast base so that the glue is covered by the fleece. Most hot glues are non-toxic and so is silicone. I would be more careful about what caulk you use if your pigs tend to chew a lot.

However, all of these must completely dry first since they give off odors that can be harmful to guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.