Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Hello! New Guinea Pig owner here. Question about introducing NEUTERED male and female

Pezzy12

Cavy Gazer
Hello all! Ive done a lot of research prior to deciding to get Guinea Pigs. I decided to get a male and female. I bought them each a cage that is 4 feet long and 2 feet wide. I let them out one at a time for a few hours at a time to ensure they have adequate running around space! (They live in a spare bedroom) I am planning on getting my male neutered next week, he already has an appointment. Ideally, I want them to live together in harmony because I know piggys do better together! My question is, is it realistic to want a male and a female to live together without fighting? Should I just get another female and another male instead? Assuming they can be housed together, I would wait at least 6 weeks before they were put together because I know the male can stay fertile for several weeks after the neuter. Any advice would be great thank you!!

angelfoxdesigns

Cavy Slave
A female and neutered male almost never fight as a grouped pair, just be sure to introduce them in neutral territory.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I think that a female and neutured male is a very ideal pair. Like @angelfoxdesigns said, they rarely ever fight. Putting a male with another male can be a bit harder to keep tame, as males tend to fight more. Two females usually work out more consistently and are more likely to bond, like a male and female pair. If you want to do a male with a male, pairing an older one with a younger one has the highest success rate. But female and male is ideal, so I would definitely stick with your plan.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I wholeheartedly agree! Chester & Maya (pictured in my avatar) were just about the sweetest pair that one could ask for. Chester had been by himself for a year after the death of his brother. The day I brought Maya home, Chester took one look at her and realized he wasn't the only piggie in the world! I think it was love-at-first-sight for both of them. :love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.