Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Oxbow vs. Small Pet Select

Question...

For a while, my boys have been using Small Pet Select timothy hay; I buy in bulk, which is far cheaper than going to the pet store every week. However, Small Pet Select has been awfully dusty, and I always end up throwing out a decent amount of chaff (what I refer to as the dust-like particles of hay that are way too small for my boys to eat). I've noticed that some people have switched to buying a 50 lb. box of Oxbow timothy hay from Chewy for that reason. But before I commit to switching, does anyone have any experience with the 50 lb. Oxbow hay from Chewy? Is it better than Small Pet Select, the same, or worse?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,309 Rec'd/5,826 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3899 Post(s)

Re: Oxbow vs. Small Pet Select

Hay is hay is hay, and has very little to do with the brand name on the box. Companies such as SPS and Oxbow buy fields of hay from farmers, and the whole harvesting process is totally mechanized. The condition of the hay has almost everything to do with the growing conditions in that area. If it's a dry year, you'll get stiff, stubby hay with a lot of dust and breakage. If you get too much rain, you'll get mold. If you have good growing conditions, you'll get great hay.

My suggestion is to find a company that generally supplies good hay and stick with them. If you get a bad box, let them know. But nobody, and I mean NOBODY, looks at the hay in the box before it's packaged, so they don't even know what a particular box contains. If it's a reputable company, they'll make things write.

Companies like Chewy have absolutely NOTHING to do with the quality of anybody's hay. They just sell whatever Kaytee, Oxbow, whoever ships to them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/65 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

I order Oxbow from Chewy and only had one incident of hay that wasn’t the quality I expected. I usually order 90 ounce bags, but I ordered the next size up. It was less expensive, but the hay was long, course pieces almost like straw. I was going to use it us as bedding since I was throwing so much away, and I completed a product rating on the Chewy site. When they saw I wasn’t 100% happy with the quality they took the initiative to refund my credit card.

I was so impressed with their service, and I continue to order the 90 ounce bags.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

I use SPS hay, pellets and paper litter. My piggy would not eat oxbow but gobbles this SPS brand up. Plus if you get the bulk quantities packages or better yet the combination bulk packs, you save quite a bit. It’s pretty common for many brands to be a bit dusty at times. Sometimes you get lush green hay, other times you get more of the hard pieces and super small or dusty pieces. It goes in waves really, at least that’s my experience of it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    96 Rec'd/87 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

I've never used Small Pet Select hay, but we have recently switched to Oxbow from Kaytee. It's definitely better than Kaytee and my piggies LOVE it!

Lately the Kaytee was a lot like how the SPS was for you; coarser and dusty. We started getting the 84 oz. bag of Oxbow meadow Timothy hay, and though it looks mostly the same as the Kaytee, it has many more soft grassy strands and smells so nice and fresh. Both my piggies have been loving it, and Robin Hood, who isn't always the biggest hay eater, is now devouring the Oxbow... which makes me very happy! We just bought the big box of it from our local privately owned pet store, but haven't opened it yet.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/86 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

I've personally not had good experience with SPS, as this one time it was super dusty and I thought I saw some tiny black bugs. Oxbow is always too coarse wtih not enough soft pieces or fuzzy bits, and can be kinda dusty for me. I have been using the All Living Things brand from Petsmart consistently for quite a long time. They don't always have it is definitely my go-to. It is always soft and I've never had any bug issues. Once in a while you may get a dud but overall I like it except the fact that it is supporting petstores. But my boys eat it happily, they honestly barely touch the Oxbow when I have to get it!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

I guess I am the only one to have a piggy that is not willing to go with the crowd here. Oh well I’m just happy she eats now, and a good quality brand at that. With oxbow I was afraid something was wrong health wise cause she didn’t touch the pellets and just ate a little hay. Small pet select she devours like well a piggy. So much so that she actually hides it under the litter and later burrows to get it. Can’t trust these humans to feed you when your hungry. I swear she’s part hamster! Who knows what’s in these little creatures minds.
    Last edited by petluv; 03-07-20 at 07:30 am.

User Tag List