Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Bite Wound Help

Stormile

Cavy Gazer
I have two brothers who are around a year and a half old who have been living together for their entire lives. We adopted them about 2 months ago, and for the first month it was just them. We then introduced two more bany guinea pigs to the family, and at first they were all doing fine. Suddenly one of the original brothers, George, seems to be biting his brother Fred. Fred has had his ear, and shoulder area bitten. I also found a bite on one of the baby guinea pigs as well.

We separated George from everyone else for a day or so, then reintroduced them. Everything seemed to be going okay, but I noticed a new bite on Fred on his cheek. I am kind of worried about it. There appears to be hair lodged in the middle of the wound, or he was bitten on top and bottom of that tuft of hair. I am just wondering if I should try to remove the hair in the wound. I did cut it down in order to see the wound better while cleaning it. 20200304_224828.jpg

We are currently looking at getting a bigger cage for the pigs, but for the time being we have both cages next to each other with a play pen fence set up to give them an area to run around and play in a bit. All of the pigs are males.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Is there any way you could just house them as two separate pairs in two separate cages permanently? It seems like something about being in a quad group is not working out for your boys.

Just keep cleaning the wound daily and watch it for any signs of infection, the hair in the middle looks like it is attached to skin there so I would leave it alone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.