Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Feb 19, 2020
    Location
    In a EXTRA LARGE super midwest cage, in our mamas bedroom near her bed
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    25
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    When your friends called your guinea pigs "hamsters" - this grinds my gears so much! Especially when at work my coworkers as me how are my "hamsters" doing. theyre not hamsters! heesh! not that i don't like hamsters, but clearly, guinea pigs are way bigger, friendlier, and much much more social compared to hamsters....i get sooo frustrated to the point where i have snapped at one of my friends lo l ....

  2. #2
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 30, 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,510
    Thanks
    165
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    This used to annoy me a lot more, and it still does if it's someone to whom I've mentioned multiple times that they're guinea pigs, not hamsters. But the annoyance there is mostly that they haven't listened to me.

    Honestly, I think the worse thing is when people hear I have guinea pigs and immediately go into a story about how their old guinea pig died horribly, usually because of bad care or their own negligence, which happens a lot more than you would expect.

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Feb 19, 2020
    Location
    In a EXTRA LARGE super midwest cage, in our mamas bedroom near her bed
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    25
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePigAlchemist View Post
    This used to annoy me a lot more, and it still does if it's someone to whom I've mentioned multiple times that they're guinea pigs, not hamsters. But the annoyance there is mostly that they haven't listened to me.

    Honestly, I think the worse thing is when people hear I have guinea pigs and immediately go into a story about how their old guinea pig died horribly, usually because of bad care or their own negligence, which happens a lot more than you would expect.

    That seems to be the pattern with me as well. Instead of guinea pigs they talk about their hamsters instead, which is a different species so its like ummmm how is this related to me having guinea pigs ...
    MY one friend just kept telling me how he had three hamsters but not as cute as mine and I got mad at him because i told him and everyone else they were guinea pigs l..his remark was " same thing" - ugh people are crazy.

    And the death stories are even crazier.

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave Soecara's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 18, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,835
    Thanks
    4
    Thanks
    512 Rec'd/432 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    It does annoy me, but for a bit of a different reason. We don't even have hamsters here in Australia, they are illegal, there are none in the country and you cannot import them. So when someone mentions my hamsters i have a bit of a forehead slap moment and explain that no they are guinea pigs, there are no hamsters in Australia.

    I've heard some truly horrific "oh i had a guinea pig and it died" stories.

  5. #5
    Cavy Slave Kelsie's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 06, 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    2,605
    Thanks
    536
    Thanks
    716 Rec'd/617 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePigAlchemist View Post
    This used to annoy me a lot more, and it still does if it's someone to whom I've mentioned multiple times that they're guinea pigs, not hamsters. But the annoyance there is mostly that they haven't listened to me.

    Honestly, I think the worse thing is when people hear I have guinea pigs and immediately go into a story about how their old guinea pig died horribly, usually because of bad care or their own negligence, which happens a lot more than you would expect.

    I can identify with the horror stories of how someone's guinea pig either died or just got away because some careless person left it out in the yard unsupervised. Why in the world do people think that we would want to hear that story. I also have had people who know that I have guinea pigs still refer to them as rabbits. After telling one person, once again, that I have guinea pigs and not rabbits she said well they really are exactly the same type of animal. After a while, I just stop trying to explain the difference.

  6. #6
    Cavy Slave MerryFriarTuck's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 23, 2019
    Posts
    416
    Thanks
    211
    Thanks
    103 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    I can relate to all this, too!!! It grates on my nerves because so many people underappreciate just how personable, social, sweet, and sensitive guinea pigs are...and that leads to the awful "dispensable pocket pet" belief. ( not that any small pet animal is dispensable; just that I think guinea pigs suffer for it even more than, say, hamsters, because they have even greater needs. ) Or when people act surprised when you say you love your piggies so much.

    To people ignorant of this I try to use prairie dogs as a comparison to guinea pigs. I've never had a prairie dog, so I don't how accurate it is, but it's one of the few explanations that help people see them as more than hamsters and different than rabbits. I say they're so social, vocal and talkative, and live in small groups together in the wild like prairie dogs do.

  7. #7
    Cavy Slave SSLee's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 30, 2017
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    144
    Thanks
    6
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    I work in a small company and most of my colleagues have dogs and one has a cat. My colleagues periodically ask me about my pets but of course they don't remember I have guinea pigs. So I've been asked about my hamsters, gerbils, mice, etc. It is kind of funny in a weird way. The part that gets me is they are shocked when I tell them I take my piggies to the vet. If they take their dogs and cats to the vet, why would I not take my piggies to the vet when they need medical care?

  8. #8
    Cavy Slave Beatrix187's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 13, 2015
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    571
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    35
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/86 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    This literally happened to my sister two days ago! She was snapchatting her friends and they kept saying hamster, adn when she corrected them they said "there's no difference anyways" or something. Basically everyone except my close friends and family call them guinea pigs consistently, . I'm surprised people can't see the difference, as they are a lot more different than you would expect.

  9. #9
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Feb 19, 2020
    Location
    In a EXTRA LARGE super midwest cage, in our mamas bedroom near her bed
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    25
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    Quote Originally Posted by SSLee View Post
    I work in a small company and most of my colleagues have dogs and one has a cat. My colleagues periodically ask me about my pets but of course they don't remember I have guinea pigs. So I've been asked about my hamsters, gerbils, mice, etc. It is kind of funny in a weird way. The part that gets me is they are shocked when I tell them I take my piggies to the vet. If they take their dogs and cats to the vet, why would I not take my piggies to the vet when they need medical care?

    Haha it is strange, my coworker every Monday morning now asks me "how are the boys doing" - and I'm like they're good haha, but at first they all judged me for having guinea pigs and how its waste of time, money, vet bills etc. and im like well you don't understand the love and value of any animal as a pet. I am very loving animal person and the fact that they say to me about how "Oh why not get a dog instead"
    strange how yours don't think guinea pigs go to the vet.
    every pet has to have a vet if anything happens.
    i guess some people just don't have a broad interest beyond cats or dogs as pets so they don't think about other possible pets as guinea pigs or hamsters.

  10. #10
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Feb 19, 2020
    Location
    In a EXTRA LARGE super midwest cage, in our mamas bedroom near her bed
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    25
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix187 View Post
    This literally happened to my sister two days ago! She was snapchatting her friends and they kept saying hamster, adn when she corrected them they said "there's no difference anyways" or something. Basically everyone except my close friends and family call them guinea pigs consistently, . I'm surprised people can't see the difference, as they are a lot more different than you would expect.

    I had a hamster named Peaches - she's rainbow bridge now..but she was a teddy hamster ( small)
    They have different body structures, toes, everything is different even their diet!

    my roommate i think is the only friend who actually references to them as guinea pigs because she had one growing up named Patches.
    Lol.

  11. #11
    Cavy Slave Beatrix187's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 13, 2015
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    571
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    35
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/86 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    It does annoy me, but for a bit of a different reason. We don't even have hamsters here in Australia, they are illegal, there are none in the country and you cannot import them. So when someone mentions my hamsters i have a bit of a forehead slap moment and explain that no they are guinea pigs, there are no hamsters in Australia.
    That's so interesting they are illegal! I have never heard of that, but I just googled it and it says it's because it could be a possible threat to wildlife if let loose?

  12. #12
    Cavy Slave Beatrix187's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 13, 2015
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    571
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    35
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/86 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    Yes and also their cages are so different. Thankfully I knew someone who knew the difference because she said "guinea pigs can't go in the balls". Lol, but she also owned two young piggies.

  13. #13
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Feb 19, 2020
    Location
    In a EXTRA LARGE super midwest cage, in our mamas bedroom near her bed
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    25
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix187 View Post
    That's so interesting they are illegal! I have never heard of that, but I just googled it and it says it's because it could be a possible threat to wildlife if let loose?

    wait what? hamsters are threatening to wildlife in australia?
    hamsters are so small LOL how are they threatening to the wildlife - thats hysterical

  14. #14
    Cavy Slave Beatrix187's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 13, 2015
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    571
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    35
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/86 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinepigmom_2.0 View Post
    wait what? hamsters are threatening to wildlife in australia?
    hamsters are so small LOL how are they threatening to the wildlife - thats hysterical
    I think it is because if they are let loose, they could breed very quickly and use up all the resources the natural wildlife would use. Like an invasive species. Still, the idea of banning them all together is a little much I would think, but it does sound funny when you just say they illegal, haha.

  15. #15
    Cavy Slave LittleSqueakers's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 30, 2014
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    387
    Thanks
    104
    Thanks
    79 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    This is what I miss about being a vet tech -- the confusion between hamsters, rats, gerbils, guinea pigs, etc never existed when I used to work with animal-people! Now that I work in the human-healthcare sector, I try to remind myself to be patient with my non-animal-people coworkers and also try to make light of it as well as educate them whenever they get guinea pigs mixed up with another pet rodent.

    A few of my coworkers have even expressed a (mild) interest in my knowledge of pigs and how I care for them, I think probably because it's something entirely different from they way they've ever thought about "pocket pets". When Casper was neutered last month, one of my coworkers was amazed to learn that there are vets that work on animals other than dogs and cats and that guinea pigs can have surgery! I couldn't help but tease her a little bit and asked, "What do you think the zoo does when one of their animals gets sick? There have to be vets for other types of animals, silly!" They still don't really get it, of course, but I like to think that I may have opened their minds -- a little -- to a wider world in which "pocket pets" have a much greater potential than conventionally believed.

    However... they DO NOT like to see photos of my pigs, because they think their pink eyes are scary. (I happen to LOVE my boys' pink eyes!!)

  16. #16
    Cavy Slave Soecara's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 18, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,835
    Thanks
    4
    Thanks
    512 Rec'd/432 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinepigmom_2.0 View Post
    wait what? hamsters are threatening to wildlife in australia?
    hamsters are so small LOL how are they threatening to the wildlife - thats hysterical
    They are a treat to local wildlife because they could out compete them for food and other resources. They could also pose a treat to some native plants if they were to establish as pests in the wild. We have many small native wildlife here that are already endangered or even have become extinct due to the effects of other non-native pests such as rabbits, rats, mice, feral cats, feral dogs and foxes, adding on top of the habitat loss due to us humans.

    Honestly i believe the only reason guinea pigs haven't become pests are they simply can't survive in the wild here, summer is too hot. There are too many people that are simply irresponsible and will toss their pets into the wild when they don't want them any more to trust people to do the right thing.

  17. #17
    Cavy Slave Kelsie's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 06, 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    2,605
    Thanks
    536
    Thanks
    716 Rec'd/617 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    @Soecara. I was wondering if ferrets are also illegal in Australia? I know that they are illegal in Hawaii. I'm not sure if it is still true, but years ago ferrets used to be illegal in Arizona. When I worked at a vet clinic in Las Vegas we had a client who lived in Arizona but she had to bring her ferrets to us for treatment. They would have been confiscated if she tried to find treatment from an Arizona veterinarian. That might have changed by now though.

    I was reading all of the above comments about how co-workers and such make remarks about guinea pigs. I still get many comments and side glances when I tell people that I have pet rats. The funniest comments are from people who have asked me if my rats live in cages or do I just let them run around the house. It takes all I can not to ask them if they are really that dumb. Of course the most common question is "do they bite" and aren't you afraid of them.

    I guess to some people they just can't understand the difference between a pet rat and a wild rat. We did have one client whose husband found a nest of wild rats while he was mowing the grass. They watched the nest for a day or so and the mother never came back. They took the babies in and raised them just like pet rats. If you hadn't known these were wild rats you would have thought they were domestic rats. They were so calm and sweet and lived with this couple until one by one each rat passed away at 3-4 years of age.

  18. #18
    Cavy Slave ItsaZoo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 08, 2018
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    346
    Thanks
    9
    Thanks
    77 Rec'd/74 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    As I read these stories I can’t help but think of the episode of Fawlty Towers when Manuel kept trying to convince people he had purchased a Siberian Hamster, when clearly he had been sold a rat. Those of you who never watched the show, it involved John Cleese as a rude hotel owner, and the Siberian Hamster got loose and ended up in the kitchen.

  19. #19
    Cavy Slave Soecara's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 18, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,835
    Thanks
    4
    Thanks
    512 Rec'd/432 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    @Soecara. I was wondering if ferrets are also illegal in Australia?
    They are not allowed in Queensland or the Northern territory but they can be kept as pets in all other states. I think it is the same situation with most small mammals though where you can't import them but pet populations already existed before the import ban was put in place. Rabbits are also not allowed to be kept as pets in Queensland

    This all makes me think of this older news story https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-a-guinea-pig

  20. #20
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Feb 19, 2020
    Location
    In a EXTRA LARGE super midwest cage, in our mamas bedroom near her bed
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    25
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone Else get Annoyed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    They are a treat to local wildlife because they could out compete them for food and other resources. They could also pose a treat to some native plants if they were to establish as pests in the wild. We have many small native wildlife here that are already endangered or even have become extinct due to the effects of other non-native pests such as rabbits, rats, mice, feral cats, feral dogs and foxes, adding on top of the habitat loss due to us humans.

    Honestly i believe the only reason guinea pigs haven't become pests are they simply can't survive in the wild here, summer is too hot. There are too many people that are simply irresponsible and will toss their pets into the wild when they don't want them any more to trust people to do the right thing.
    That's horrible...people should be arrested for animal abuse..thats animal abuse. why get a pet if you decide down the road you no longer can take care of it..such annoyance. having a pet is life plan, you can't just give up when things get tough. geez, i lose faith in humanity

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •