Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives midwest Plus, I think

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Hi! just got 2 new gp girls. They came with one petstore cage, fine for transport, and one 9I think0 Midwest Plus. It's a cage i"m not familiar with. Cloth bottom that velcroes to the bars of the cage, 2 doors on the sides which seem pretty useless, a folding hinged top, and a divider inside with ramps, the fabric on those has been chewed. Questions: has any one heard of this style cage and is it an ok size for the 2 girls? They are about a year and are sisters. Is there a way to make the middle of the top, shere the 2 parts of the top come together sturdier/ (curious cats lay on it) And, can the divider and ramp be removed/ I think it'd give them a bit more space and also i don't want their feet getting caught up in the wire. Eventually I'll get a martins 44/44 playpen as their permanent cae, but this is what they came with and right now funds prevent me from getting what I qant. If you are wondering why I don't go for a c&c, afew reasons. Reason 1, I live alone, have some physical and visual disabilities, and no one to help me build one or cut the coroplast and shipping coro isn't goiing to be cost effective for the size i'd want. 2, I have cats and a dog and Need something with a top, nothing open. That's why I'l looking at that playpen eventually. But anyway, thoughts on this Midwest contraption are helpful and welcome. They'l be getting lock on food bowls and upgraded food tomorrow. Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The Martin's Cages site is having problems and I can't find the dimensions of the 44/44 playpen. But no cage they list for guinea pigs is large enough for one pig, much less two.

You need at least eight square feet for two pigs, and larger would be better. The Midwest Plus barely qualifies.

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Bummer, thanks. Here I thought I'd got this great big cage with them for free. Martins is 44/44/24, though i'd lower it to 14 as 24 is too high for me to comfortably reach in and access them. Think of a square box 44 or so on all sides made of wire. I'd use the smaller spaces, when their site comes back up you can check. Ignore the small playpen with pan, too small!! I'm thinking that's what I'd ideally want thoughm would love your feedback.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is this the one you mean? (broken link removed)

If so, you'll need something for a lid. Closet shelving makes a good lid, and is sturdy enough to keep cats and small dogs out if secured properly.

Is this the same as what you're thinking is a Midwest Plus cage? https://www.amazon.com/Guinea-Habitat-MidWest-Panel-Inches/dp/B001NJ0DQ8/ref=sr_1_3. If so, it doesn't need the divider and the ramps, and would meet the bare minimum size requirements. Later, you might be able to attach a playpen to it to give them some additional room.

petluv

Cavy Slave
The Midwest with the cage divider is not appropriate. It uses up valuable space in which the piggies could run laps unencumbered. The regular Midwest is more appropriate as they can run laps along the perimeter unencumbered. As far as cage requirements bpatters knows best. I do know that Midwest cages can be attached to other Midwest cages to allow for more room, that might work for starters, attaching two of them together. I wish you much happiness with your new piggies! :love:

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Hi! just got 2 new gp girls. They came with one petstore cage, fine for transport, and one 9I think0 Midwest Plus. It's a cage i"m not familiar with. Cloth bottom that velcroes to the bars of the cage, 2 doors on the sides which seem pretty useless, a folding hinged top, and a divider inside with ramps, the fabric on those has been chewed. Questions: has any one heard of this style cage and is it an ok size for the 2 girls? They are about a year and are sisters. Is there a way to make the middle of the top, shere the 2 parts of the top come together sturdier/ (curious cats lay on it) And, can the divider and ramp be removed/ I think it'd give them a bit more space and also i don't want their feet getting caught up in the wire. Eventually I'll get a martins 44/44 playpen as their permanent cae, but this is what they came with and right now funds prevent me from getting what I qant. If you are wondering why I don't go for a c&c, afew reasons. Reason 1, I live alone, have some physical and visual disabilities, and no one to help me build one or cut the coroplast and shipping coro isn't goiing to be cost effective for the size i'd want. 2, I have cats and a dog and Need something with a top, nothing open. That's why I'l looking at that playpen eventually. But anyway, thoughts on this Midwest contraption are helpful and welcome. They'l be getting lock on food bowls and upgraded food tomorrow. Thanks!

I have two midwest extra large cages they create a huge L shape when put together or you can make a big giant square in your room if your room is big enough for that kind of combination...I left the divider in one part of the cage creating like a "kitchen" for them...it keeps their play, sleep, nap areas cleaner because thhey tend to poops all over lol.

If you have one Midwest cage already, you can order another one for $62 bucks and combine them together. Leave the divider out unless you wanna create like a kitchen area for them...

You can also order the bottom part off of the guinea pig cages shop - instead of the velcro liner that comes with midwest...just measure out what you will need so it will fit properly. On top of that you can then cover it up with fleece or whatever is good materials for the babies to hang out on and run around.
my boys love thier set up and i spend maybe little too much money on them than i do on myself HAH.

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Thanks, that gives me some more ideas for added space for them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.