Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage DIY Hay Feeders - What materials are safe for piggies?

• Thread starter sunshineguineas
  • Start date

sunshineguineas

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone, I am going to be a new guinea mama in a few weeks (adopting from an owner who can no longer take care of her 2 girls). I am nesting and getting things ready for the new arrivals :). I am a DIY sort of person and have seen some cool ideas for tunnels, hay feeders, and other cage/floor-time accoutrements. In particular I am interested in building a wooden tunnel that also doubles as a hay feeder. My question is, what glues are safe for guinea pigs? I wanted to use wood glue but it seems they can be toxic. Has anyone used glue to build anything for their piggies? Thank you in advance!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you google "non-toxic wood glue" without the quotes you'll get plenty of hits.

But I'd encourage you to do a lot of reading and talking to GP owners before you go too far down that road. Anything wooden will soak up urine and other liquids, and will soon stink to high heaven. And there are tons of pictures and suggestions in the Photo Gallery here.

Avitalwar

Cavy Slave
I recently built mine and I used Gorilla Glue, it is a Non-Toxic Water Base Wood Glue.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.