Thread: Washing fleece? Can I put it in a pillow case?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Washing fleece? Can I put it in a pillow case?

What does everyone wash their fleece with? Do you put it in a pillow case, or just wash it like you would a regular load of laundry? Do you use any bleach? Unscented detergent? Need advice. If I put one fleece in a pillow case, would it still get cleaned properly or no? Hubby is a little hesitant of just throwing them in our washer and dryer !

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Re: Washing fleece? Can I put it in a pillow case?

Also, I don't know if it matters as to the answer, but does it matter that my washer does not have hot water ran to it?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

I just throw it in the washer with unscented detergent and sometimes vinegar. I'm not sure if it would clean as well in a pillowcase and I don't really see the point of doing that. The urine still has to be washed out anyway. I've done this for years and have seen no ill effects to the washer or my clothes. Sometimes I just have to pick out a piece of hay that I missed.

I think hot water is better for disinfecting but I don't think it would be a huge deal to not have it.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

I have read that some people put them in multiple large mesh laundry bags, if your worried about leftover hay bits. I use litter (also cause of hubby and the washer ). so have no other ideas but I remember hearing that.

ETA if he is super picky, then maybe run a load of water with those laundry washer cleaning tabs? After the piggy things are out. That’s a lot of extra water but if it keeps marital peace then it might be worth it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/26 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

I put it in the wash directly using All Free & Clear (or similar) detergent and add vinegar to the final rinse. I usually do 2-3 loads each weekend and for the load containing Guinea Dad brand liners, due to the material in the liner, it has to be a cold water wash. For the other loads, I wash in hot water. If you are concerned about residual impact from piggy laundry, some members on this site run an extra rinse cycle afterwards before using it again for human laundry.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Thank you both for the responses, very helpful and appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanks
    709 Rec'd/610 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)

I purchased the laundry bags from the website of the seller of the "Stay Bowls". They work very well. If I'm being honest though, there are many times I just put my piggie laundry into my machine without using a bag. I use warm water and All Free & clear detergent. I finish up with vinegar in the final rinse. Like another poster stated, there are times I have had to pick out a stray piece of hay but other than that I've had no problem with my washer.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

If I'm being honest, like I told my husband, all of my kids clothes are probably just as hard on our washer haha! I do between 8-10 loads of clothes a week for everyone in the household. Sometimes I find gum, wrappers, sticks, you name it, that comes out of their pockets . I think I'm just going to wash it loose like I would my clothes. I want to ensure its clean. To appease my husband I have told him I will do a clean rinse whatever its called, where you don't put anything in it but throw in cleaner and it cleans everything out, after I was the piggie fleece. Long day at work so far, can't even think of what its called .

User Tag List