Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Is it normal for a GP to slow down on eating after delivery?

ToriaValentine

Cavy Gazer
My guinea pig unexpectedly gave birth to two lively babies yesterday. She looks exhausted, skinny and beat up so I’ve been trying to get her to eat her veggies. She refuses to touch her celery and broccoli, the only food she’s taken from me was carrots, though she’s only nibbled. She won’t even take her cookies from me! She’s still occasionally munching on hard food and drinking so I’m not THAT worried, I’m just being cautious bc she’s been sick in the past.. is this normal?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, it's not normal, and she needs an exotic vet ASAP. She may a retained placenta, or a pup still inside, and either is an emergency.

PippathePig

Cavy Gazer
I agree with bpatters totally not normal. I would get her to an exotics vet asap. Was she being fed a diet suitable for a pregnant piggie? Only reason I ask is because you say it was unexpected. She could have deficiencies as well. Do you have an exotics vet? If not I would find one ASAP and bring her in. Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.