Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Took my piggies for a check up on ringworm....but

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
I took my babies both to get checked out because I noticed Jon (my white baby) had a patch of missing hair on his back.
It was dry, scaly, with little bit of dark dots(i guess from scratching). I never noticed him do it...

The vet diagnosed it with ringworm...provided medication for him..i have been giving him his doses every day since the visit...and the patch still looks the same. came with a bottle of liquid stuff that supposed to be applied with gauze onto the open patch.

I visited the vet last Wednesday.....
It is now almost a week and i haven't noticed much difference in the healing or anything...im starting to be concerned that he was misdiagnosed....i am not sure what to do and ii don't have another $200 dollars to get meds/visit the vet again! its stressing me out..i can post a pic of the spot when i get home...im currently at work thinking and reading everyone else's concerns about patches of missing hair and what they could be....

Sigh...im really stressed over this because first mistake was i excitedly purchased both of them from petco pet store...and only one has missing hair while the other is 100% healthy after vet visit 1st time....i didn't realize guinea pigs can be adopted or rescued! big mistake. i grew up by adopting all my pets cats to dogs...and i made a mistake on buying little guys at Petco..which is known apparently for poorly treated guinea pigs and kept in cramp places, and etc....soooo that aside..my one baby came sick..

So does anyone recommend anything else ? Should I try https://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-P...00JAL3AAW/ref=sr_1_3?tag=viglink21014-20&th=1
if its mites?

I haven't seen jon scratch himself or anything..he just kinda sits in the hidey hut by himself (when theres hay he comes out and only eats the hay...not the pellets or the veggies)...he won't let me really do lap time either...just to basically give his medicines and then he just wants to be put back....sigh

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Post a picture when you get home and we'll take a stab at diagnosing it.

It's a pretty rare thing to need a vet to diagnose a GP skin problem. There are plenty of things to try first, and only if they all fail do you need to call in the big vet guns.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Post a picture when you get home and we'll take a stab at diagnosing it.

It's a pretty rare thing to need a vet to diagnose a GP skin problem. There are plenty of things to try first, and only if they all fail do you need to call in the big vet guns.
607911A6-E9A6-4E5C-A281-B200B7F1E208.jpg67014704-39CF-473E-969B-E52BDDC64C65.jpgMeds provided by the vet a week ago

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
I recognize the benebac and the Baytril, but what's the name of the lotion?? Can't quite read the label...

the lotion is called : Micazole Lotion (smells little strong )

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The lotion has miconazole in it, which is an antifungal medication.

Why is he on Baytril? That alone can make him not feel good, and it won't treat a fungal infection. I'd expect either the Micazole OR the Baytril, but not both.

It's almost certainly not mites, and the shape of the bald spot is classic ringworm.

Was this an exotic vet?

How often are you giving the Micazole? And how are you administering it? What is the strength of the medication?

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
The lotion has miconazole in it, which is an antifungal medication.

Why is he on Baytril? That alone can make him not feel good, and it won't treat a fungal infection. I'd expect either the Micazole OR the Baytril, but not both.

It's almost certainly not mites, and the shape of the bald spot is classic ringworm.

Was this an exotic vet?

How often are you giving the Micazole? And how are you administering it? What is the strength of the medication?

yes she is an exotic vet. We have been going to the animal hospital for years and they have a vet for every different type of pet.

jon is getting three different things because he had upper congestion, for his sneezing. It wasn’t allergies .

I just noticed his brother as well now has fungus infection above his eye. I applied Micazole to the area with a q-tip gently not to harm his eye.

since they were together at the store they both were exposed. Since his brother now is showing early signs I’m gonna apply to him as well to make sure.

ita slow healing process I guess then... just feel bad for Jon (white baby)

jon gets
0.2 mL of the Baytril by mouth twice a daily for 7 days
Bene-Bac pet gel 1 click daily for 7 days
and Lotion is applied through squishing on gauze and then to his ringworm soaking the area .

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Update: applied lotion on both babies this morning before i left work...fed them their veggies, hay, and pellets.
The oral by mouth medications i will have to do in the evening, requires more time.

I feel like the poor babies won't want to have lap time once they're both healed....they've been running away from me when they hear the medicine bag being opened. sigh....

Jon is chewing on his hidey hut bed....not sure what that means but i gave them both some carrots, celery, cucumbers, and little bit of spinach leaves..not whole lot..because i know spinach has a lot of calcium. they have chew sticks to chew on...i checked their teethes they look normal and healthy...

So not sure why he's eating his bed...lol could be from the medicine making him itch and uncomfortable....Robert his brother has been walking around the cage making that weird purring noise constantly...not sure if he's happy or annoyed..itchy both are itching boys..

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Chewing is often a sign of pain. Or, in this case, it could be itching.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Chewing is often a sign of pain. Or, in this case, it could be itching.

It's most likely itching because they have been itching up a lot last night as i watched them till 1AM and fell asleep..been very concerned. I hope this stuff works and starts to heal them up.
I don't want them to suffer so much thats what gets me..just watching them makes me feel so ugh sad....i know they'll be okay just wish Petco wasn't allowed to sell guinea pigs anymore...they don't allow dogs or cats to be bought from them anymore against the law. they should make it illegal to sell guinea pigs as well...That way no sick piggies will come out of it, no more unhealthy breeding distributors...used to like Petco a lot....but now im disappointed of how they keep and treat the little babies...

PippathePig

Cavy Gazer
Guineapigmom_2.0 yeah sadly they aren't known for healthy pets. Not just guinea pigs, but other animals as well :( . It's really sad. They also don't sex them properly a lot either. I try to avoid my local pet stores like the plague, because I know myself and I would probably not be able to leave them there. And I don't want to support them. I order all of my guinea pig food, hay, and accessories, pretty much everything they need offline. Cheaper as well! That's how I boycott these pet stores that sell ill animals. I refuse to give them ANY business. Not even for a tennis ball for my dog! Glad you are taking good care of them. It definitely sounds like they lucked out with you :) .

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Guineapigmom_2.0 yeah sadly they aren't known for healthy pets. Not just guinea pigs, but other animals as well :( . It's really sad. They also don't sex them properly a lot either. I try to avoid my local pet stores like the plague, because I know myself and I would probably not be able to leave them there. And I don't want to support them. I order all of my guinea pig food, hay, and accessories, pretty much everything they need offline. Cheaper as well! That's how I boycott these pet stores that sell ill animals. I refuse to give them ANY business. Not even for a tennis ball for my dog! Glad you are taking good care of them. It definitely sounds like they lucked out with you :) .

I generally don't go there as much, because my dad orders our kitty food from chewy.com and litter.

So basically the only reason I went to Petco was for my two baby boys...I ordered their toys, bedding, and cages from amazon.com.
Plus driving anywhere after work on a weeknight is annoying >.< so its easier to order anything on line...

I am a very proud piggy mom <3 just want to give them the best life after spending a short time at the store. i think they're mostly happy...especially when the hay gets reloaded in the mornings. lol they love that hay..i swear more than the veggies.

Ill keep y'all posted in a couple days or so and see if anything changes in their health. Im watching them like a hawk. <3

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
My poor baby boys eye
this is robert

im getting nervous if he keeps scratching He will hurt himself
49364415-4DA0-4B17-9AE1-8F836BD9005A.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's probably fungus, and will require either an ophthalmic antifungal medicine, which a vet will have to prescribe, or an oral preparation. It's too close to the eye for a regular antifungal medication.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
That's probably fungus, and will require either an ophthalmic antifungal medicine, which a vet will have to prescribe, or an oral preparation. It's too close to the eye for a regular antifungal medication.
[MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]

can I use this :
(broken link removed)

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
[h=2]Description[/h]Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Ophthalmic Gel for Pets is a great solution for troubled eyes. Based on advanced hypochlorous technology, it’s formulated at an appropriate pH level and will not burn or sting. A natural alternative to eye solutions that contain antibiotics, Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Ophthalmic Gel for Pets contains no antibiotics yet is still highly effective. It is also helpful for symptoms of pinkness of the eye, eye abrasions, and eye irritation. From your home to the farm or ranch, Vetericyn makes caring for your pet simple and easy.
[h=2]Key Benefits[/h]
  • Helps to add moisture and prevent discharge caused by allergies or other eye problems.
  • Cost-effective, pain-free alternative to medicated eye drops or ointments.
  • Veterinarian-recommended maintenance solution helps to keep your pet’s eyes clean and prevent eye issues.
  • Provides relief for your pet’s dry, burning, irritated, or red eyes.
  • Recommended for every pet parent to keep on hand to promote healthy eyes.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
8768D0C8-47AA-49E9-A3A2-E898F4EFC311.jpgShoukd I also get this? Or no bath necessary?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That medicine doesn't indicate that it's an antifungal, so I doubt it would help. Fungus can be hard to get rid of, and requires something that actively targets it.

The shampoo also isn't antifungal. You need something with a -conazole medication in it. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for suggestions.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
That medicine doesn't indicate that it's an antifungal, so I doubt it would help. Fungus can be hard to get rid of, and requires something that actively targets it.

The shampoo also isn't antifungal. You need something with a -conazole medication in it. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for suggestions.

I am trying to find things i can just get myself..the vet doubles the price for these things and i at the moment don't have another $200 in my pocket to get it from the vet....

has anyone tried these? where can i get them?
im located in New Brunswick, NJ 08901 USA.
Shampoos:

• Nizoral is a human antifungal, dandruff shampoo.
    Active ingredient Ketoconazole 1% (over the counter) and 2% (by prescription)
  • KetoChlor is a prescription veterinary topical shampoo.
    Active ingredients ketoconazole 1% and chlorhexidine gluconate 2.3%
  • Malaseb
    Active ingredients: Chlorhexidine Gluconate 2%, Miconazole Nitrate 2%
  • Pharmaseb Shampoo
    Active ingredients 2.0% Chloroxylenol, USP, 1.0% Ketoconazole, USP
Topical Creams:

• Miconazole cream (Monistat 7, Femizol-M – human OTC med), active ingredient: miconazole nitrate 2%
  • Clotrimazole (Gyne-Lotrimin, Mycelex, Lotrimin, Lotrisone), active ingredient clotrimazole 1%

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 9.42.58 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-02-27 at 9.42.52 AM.jpghas anyone tried these wipes?
im trying to copy and paste all the shampoos and creams into amazon search, and these products pop up.
i was watching my babies last night again, they are really itchy...even after applying the lotion i already have from the vet.

it says on the guinealynx site that it takes about 4 weeks for this stuff to start disappearing and healing. im just on week 1!
o man..it also suggests to deep clean the cage..which i will have to do because i don't want any of the stuff lingering around if does linger...not sure if it does or if it just appears when the cavy is moved from one place to another...they went from a store to my bedroom which is slightly warmer than a store.

Sorry to be bugging anyone...but does anyone know if giving them a bath would help?
i just hate watching them suffering through this with the itching and biting the bedding....its making me sad. its like they're going crazy (which is understandable id be too if i had a crazy itch of infections)....

imma try to order some of the products that are listed on lynx...i didn't know monistat can be used on a pet....probably little dabs topical cream on the itchy spots. which i have like q-tips to gently brush it onto their itch spots...am i doing this right?LOL im so new to this i don't want to do anything to harm them further...just want to make them feel better..

three more weeks and if i don't see anythign change in their skin..imma have to probably go to the vet again....

Status
Not open for further replies.