Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Took my piggies for a check up on ringworm....but

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The wipes won't do. You can get the others at any pharmacy.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
The wipes won't do. You can get the others at any pharmacy.

What do you mean i can get others at any pharmacy?
Why no to the wipes? Have you tried them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wipes won't get enough medication to the area. You need a medicine you can apply and rub in, and wipes aren't designed to do that.

I mean you can get almost any of those medicines you listed at almost any pharmacy.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I would also say no to the wipes but for more reasons then just how much medication would actually get on them. First the wipes are alcohol based and clearly say not to use on open wounds or raw areas, this would be painful for the guinea pig to apply to the red and irritated patches and the alcohol will dry out the skin even more. Secondly they have fragrance as an ingredient which can also be irritating to the skin and respiratory system.

I have treated fungal infections on guinea pigs with topical creams containing clotrimazole that i got from a regular pharmacy, i would apply it sparingly and rub in very well with a q-tip twice a day until a couple days after the fur started growing back. All times i have done this the infection has cleared up well with no occurrence.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
I would also say no to the wipes but for more reasons then just how much medication would actually get on them. First the wipes are alcohol based and clearly say not to use on open wounds or raw areas, this would be painful for the guinea pig to apply to the red and irritated patches and the alcohol will dry out the skin even more. Secondly they have fragrance as an ingredient which can also be irritating to the skin and respiratory system.

I have treated fungal infections on guinea pigs with topical creams containing clotrimazole that i got from a regular pharmacy, i would apply it sparingly and rub in very well with a q-tip twice a day until a couple days after the fur started growing back. All times i have done this the infection has cleared up well with no occurrence.

Update news: luckily jon snows fur is slowly growing back finally...seeing improvement. he is little bit smaller than robert because i think jon snow is still a baby young guinea pig, he's around 300grams
where robert is 400grams...

i applied monistat 7 onto robert starks fungus with a tip gently
hopefully it'll help stop the itching and with the fungus.....

updated pic of jons back:
IMG_3617.jpgIMG_3623.jpg
they keep coming out upside down....
but he's snuggly in a t-shirt i don't wear anymore giving him comfort

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Now that Jon the white one is getting better should I separate him from Robert (fnungus) is fungus transferable?
I have a back up cage that I can put next to Robert so he doesn’t feel lonely but if jon is getting better I don’t wanna have him get sick again . Does anyone recommend separate for couple weeks?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fungus is contagious, but there's certainly no point in separating them now. Everybody's thoroughly exposed to everything at this point.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Fungus is contagious, but there's certainly no point in separating them now. Everybody's thoroughly exposed to everything at this point.

thank you, hopefully within couple weeks both will be almost healed and onto better health.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Update:

Jon Snow : his fur is grown back, still has little bit more to grow but he's happy. i realized how old he is by the size of him and looking at his nails. They're clear nails back and front, therefore he's probably 1 years old.
Thought it was interesting discovery.
He hasn't been itching or anything.

Robert Stark : Fungus above his eye, and near his nose...I have been treating him, his fur is growing back on top of his eye. Near his nose, also is healing up.
I also think Robert is 2 years old..he's chunkier and bigger than Jon..

Both are happy and enjoying their unlimited timothy hay! I hope in another week or two both will be 100%.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You get ONE MEDICAL THREAD PER PIG.

I'm closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.