Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Guinea Pigs won't let me pick them up but I need to clip their nails,How do you do it

ThePiggieLover

Cavy Slave
Hi, Im a fairly new piggie owner, Iv'e had them for about 3 weeks now, they are very comfortable coming up to me and climbing into my lap or sniffing and trying to climb on my hand. One of mine is very comfortable with me touching her and lets me pet her and give scritches behind the ears etc., my other one is only comfortable jumping into my lap and runs away when I pick up my hand near her and promptly comes back when I put my hand down. So my main question is how do other people clip the nails of their piggies? Do you swaddle them like babies (I heard that somewhere) Or how do you do it? Also how long should I wait to begin trying to pick them up and how should I go about it?

Thank You for your help!!!

P.S.

The one comfortable with me petting her is Buttercup
The one that prefers my hands down is Buddy
(Both girls, I am unsure of their exact age but they are not babies)

mummytomyboys

Cavy Gazer
Hi, some vets clip nails (I'm in the UK so don't know if this applies to you) or you could try a rescue place my local rescue clips nails at an additional £4 per pig or donation to the rescue but again, depends on where you are. If you are going to do it yourself make sure you watch plenty of videos and advice before hand and make sure you have the right equipment. I don't do my guinea pigs I get them done at my local rescue.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

ThePiggieLover

Cavy Slave
Thank you all,
I posted this awhile ago and since have built trust with my piggies and they now let me hold them! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.