Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Ringworm — do cage mates have to be separated?

redcml

Cavy Gazer
Hello!

I am a new “guinea pig mom” to two young female piggies. I am over the moon with love for them!! One of them developed a spot beside her mouth yesterday (going to try to attach a pic). I called the pet store and the manager said it was ringworm and is getting a spray medicine from a vet (after first suggesting I “just exchange” her ����). He said I must keep my two entirely separate for two weeks....is this true? I hate to separate them. Right now during the day they share a 6 ft by4 ft enclosure and at night they share a 2x4 cage. I have another cage slightly smaller I could put one in at night and I could split their day enclosure in half, but I hate to change their routine if there’s any way around it. Just want to keep them happy and healthy. I already disinfect weekly with white vinegar and wash everything in hot water (fleece bedding, hideys, blankets, etc) — anything else I need to do to get rid of the fungus? Help is appreciated! 837FA0BE-A6BA-4FD9-9EF5-3934C5A86765.jpgD397164E-1D6B-43CC-ADDD-63E4497199BD.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, you don't have to separate them. They've all been thoroughly exposed.

Also, don't spray that area with anything. There are antifungal creams/liquids (Lotrimin is one) that you can apply with a q-tip and rub in well so the pig can't ingest it when grooming itself. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for more info.

Just as an FYI, pet store employees know nothing, or next to it, about treating animals for anything. Pet stores are in business to make money, not to care for animals, and it's a rare employee that is qualified to give medical advice.

redcml

Cavy Gazer
I just made an appointment with a vet to make sure it is actually that! I called the store first because they’re supposed to provide vet care through their preferred veterinary office the first 30 days after purchase, but they only seemed to want to call meds in rather than see her...I’ll make sure that’s what it is before I treat. Thank you so much for the help. I was very worried about having to separate them

edit, additional question: is it okay to disinfect everything Friday as planned (and then again really thoroughly after treatment is over) or should I do it when I start treatment (assuming it is ringworm)?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should do it when you start treatment, and I'd do it again at the end. Mites are tough little critters.

Don't let the vet do a scraping to test for ringworm. It's painful for the pig, and unnecessary. If it's not a fungus, it won't clear up with an antifungal medication, and you can switch to an antibiotic cream.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.