Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Can I introduce a bonded pair of guinea pigs to a solo guinea pig?

FluffyGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Hi! I have one guinea pig at the moment, she's about a year old, I got her from a local person around here and she was on her own and of course I am planning to get an additional guinea pig or two to go along with her, probably sometime in March, because I know that it's not really good for them to be alone, and most of the guinea pigs from reputable places I can find (so not a pet store) are already in bonded pairs of two (a lot of them are siblings, or parent/child as well) so I'm wondering if it'd be okay to introduce a bonded pair of two to her? Obviously introducing them properly according to what I've found on here, and etc, but is this going to be something feasible or should I just look to find a single guinea pig to get for her? Either way works, I'm just trying to get an idea about what is okay to introduce with and couldn't find anything online.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can introduce a singleton to a group of pigs, whether just two more or a whole bunch. But I think it usually takes much longer than introducing two singletons. It needs to be done in an especially large area at a time when you've got hours to give to it. And you do have to be prepared for the possibility of it not working out, and maybe even of winding up with three singleton pigs, none of which want to live with each other.

JaneD85

Cavy Slave
If the area is large enough and you keep an eye on them to make sure they don't become aggressive with one another, things should work out just fine. In my experience, the piggies are usually quite sociable and friendly. :eek:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.