Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Im completely lost with my guinea pigs

Scr2tch

Cavy Gazer
The dominant one keeps fighting, biting what looks to be another pigs bum and holding onto it, climbing on the pigs etc. My guinea pigs are in a big cage in my room and I cant sleep. Every night they wake me up with their fighting. I live with my family and I always hate when the pigs wake me up because I feel like I am waking my parents and my brother up. I dont know what to do. Please help

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
How many guinea pigs do you have? What are their ages and genders? What are the dimensions of the cage (ie how many inches by how many inches is the floor of the cage)?

Scr2tch

Cavy Gazer
3 boys, all same age, cage 1 m length 60 cm width (not sure how much is that in inches)

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Boars are best kept in pairs. Many members here will attest that 3 or more boars living together as a group almost never works out; they're just too territorial. Also, your cage is not big enough for one pig, let alone 3 boars. See this link for cage size recommendations:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/

Note that boars tend to be more territorial than sows, so when you have boars, the recommendation is to go up a cage size (ie, if you have 2 boars, you would give them a cage that's big enough for 3 sows = 1 sq meter minimum).

Is there any way you could get a fourth boar and then split everyone up into 2 pairs in two separate, larger cages?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your cage isn't large enough for one pig, never mind three, still less three boars. Three boars need a minimum of 10-12 square feet, and more is better. You've got less than 6 square feet.

Also, three males almost never works. Two might work, a whole herd might work, but three is nearly guaranteed to fail. We never recommend it to anyone, My suggestion is that you either rehome one of them, or split one off into an adjacent cage with an eye toward getting him a buddy. But the thing you need to do most, and quickly, is to get them into a larger living space before someone gets seriously injured.

Scr2tch

Cavy Gazer
Got it, anything else that I can do?

PuhlyaOneLove

Cavy Gazer
I believe, they can't divide territory, you may split them into different cages and let them get used to each other gradually. there are lots of tutorials of how to do that in a correct way.
Wish you good luck

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I believe, they can't divide territory, you may split them into different cages and let them get used to each other gradually.

This is not the proper way to do introductions. Perhaps @bpatters will come along and provide a link to the guide to introductions.

PippathePig

Cavy Gazer
Look into making a larger cage (cheaper than buying). C&C cages are easy to make, and there are so many ways to design them you can have a lot of fun with them! A trio of males (none neutered I assume?) is probably not the best idea, as others have stated above. Can you find a home for one, or get him a buddy and split them into two cages? The cage you have is way too small. Store bought ones usually are.

For example, for 2 piggies I'm making a C&C cage that is either 2' X 6', or 2' X 8'. Three piggies in that small of an area is just asking for trouble. Good luck OP.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.