Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello - I’m a new piggy mummy of Adopted 4 year old

Newpiggymum

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone,

just wanted to pop in and say hi, I’m a new piggy mummy of a 4 year old little cutie, he’s adopted as he needed a forever home.
I met him on Wednesday and instantly knew I need to give him the family that he needed. We have named him Bobby and he has settled in really well, he’s already starting to sleep outside his house, he loves cucumber, spinach, cabbage and cauliflower leaves, not so keen on turnip.

im looking forward to learning everything there is to now about guinea pigs so we can give Bobby that home he really deserves.

95A7A24B-3AAE-419D-96FF-78A626490155.jpg B83D9719-B168-4E83-B654-ECB959148E61.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome! He's a cutie!

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners.

And a word of warning: cucumber, spinach, cabbage and cauliflower leaves can all cause stomach upsets. I'd stick to mostly red or green leaf lettuce and only one or two other veggies until he has time to get settled in. Then you can add one veggie at a time and see how he reacts to it before adding another.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
He's such a beautiful piggy!! That's so awesome you rescued him! It's great he's settling in so fast, too. Sleeping outside his hidey house is a big sign of trust :)

My piggies' daily veggies are Red or Green leaf lettuce and green and yellow bell peppers ( bell peppers are very important so your piggy gets enough vitamin C... piggies also love them! ). And as treats every other day or so I give mine cucumber, cilantro, baby carrots, etc.
Spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, and turnip leaves are all either gassy or high in calcium. If a piggy eats them every day, they can cause issues like bloating and sometimes bladder/kidney stones because of the excess calcium. They're ok as treats maybe once in a while, but not good everyday.

bpatters' link is fantastic, and one of the links it leads to is a great veggie table where you can look up how often to feed different veggies :) This site also helped me as a new piggy owner: www.guineapigmanual.com

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.