Thanks
    Thanks
    619 Rec'd/494 Posts
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    434 Post(s)

Leo's medical thread

I'm beginning to wonder what I've done wrong in a previous life, or what I'm doing wrong now.

Last night Leo was as happy and chipper as ever. Running around having a grand old time.

This morning...... nothing. No laps waiting for his morning pepper. Not coming when hes called. Not drinking water. Eating a.little hay now and then but nothing else, not even his favourites. Just lying around under the bendy wood with his head down.

Both my wife and I have upper respiratory infections and I have a bad feeling we've given it to him. Both of ours presented in a rapid onset overnight.

His vet appt is at 3:45pm. Wish us luck.

Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/24 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Re: Leo's medical thread

I am so sorry to read that you, your wife, and Leo are all unwell. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to all and looking forward to good news soon. This has been a horrible winter everywhere!

3. "Thank you, SSLee, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    619 Rec'd/494 Posts
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    434 Post(s)

Well,
    The vet can't find anything wrong with him but prescribed antibiotics just in case.

Thanks
    Thanks
    79 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

I'm so sorry to hear about Leo @Guinea Pig Papa I can't believe you're having to deal with a sick piggie yet AGAIN in such a short time span. It's so exhausting -- body and soul -- when our little piggers aren't well, isn't it? It does at times feel as though the universe can be very cruel, putting so much on us at once... My thoughts are with you, your wife, Leo, and Scooter.

6. "Thank you, LittleSqueakers, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    619 Rec'd/494 Posts
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    434 Post(s)

Hes home now, with Sultatrim twice a day. He was such a good boy at the vet which tells me he isn't feeling well lol. He didnt even fuss with the thermometer up the bum!

His heart and lungs sound strong and clear. Tummy noises are normal. Not running a temperature. Weight is great (and he hasn't lost any). Hes been fed a few syringes of Critical Care today as well. He IS eating some hay, when he came home that's the first thing he did. Oddly enough, SCOOTER wants to play and Leo wants none of it right now.

So, I've started the Sulfatrim just in case but was told if he seems back to normal by tomorrow night, to stop it. He might just be having an off day.

8. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    79 Rec'd/70 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

Everything sounds like it could very well be simply an off day... well wishes to all of you!!

10. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    619 Rec'd/494 Posts
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    434 Post(s)

Well, the vet said we did the right thing bringing him in because, as we all know, not eating is serious and he ate very little on his own yesterday.

He got two full syringes of Critical Care again last night, and when given their evening salad he ate some but left a fair bit and went to nap.

Finished the rest of the salad during the night, and while not his usual chipper self quite yet he did respond to being called this morning and ate his entire green pepper slice and a cucumber slice. He's also been grazing in the hay.

Whatever it was the made him go off yesterday, appears to be on it's way out.

12. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Thumbs down Re: Leo's medical thread

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Well, the vet said we did the right thing bringing him in because, as we all know, not eating is serious and he ate very little on his own yesterday.

He got two full syringes of Critical Care again last night, and when given their evening salad he ate some but left a fair bit and went to nap.

Finished the rest of the salad during the night, and while not his usual chipper self quite yet he did respond to being called this morning and ate his entire green pepper slice and a cucumber slice. He's also been grazing in the hay.

Whatever it was the made him go off yesterday, appears to be on it's way out.
    Great news GPP! :-D

Humans have times where we feel unwell for a few days, but it isnít anything serious. We get spells of messed up GI systems for a few days, some eat little or some only bland foods. Often no or too much BMs are a part of it. Itís nothing serious at all, just a fact of being human. He could just have something similar. Hoping he continues to be on the upswing!

Thanks
    Thanks
    691 Rec'd/597 Posts
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

One time I gave my pigs just a tiny little piece of spinach, which they had never had before, and it really affected my pig Teddi. She reacted just like Leo. She wouldn't eat much at all and was listless for over 12 hours. I was in a panic and was going to take her to the vet the next morning. When I went in the next day to feed them their morning meal she came right out and started to eat her salad just like usual. I guess that spinach really upset her stomach. It seemed like once it went through her digestive tract she felt much better. Obviously I never gave them spinach again.

I'm so glad to hear that Leo seems to be feeling better. I hope you and your wife are also feeling better. Our pigs rely on us and when we are feeling sick it makes it so difficult to give them the best of care.

15. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    619 Rec'd/494 Posts
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    434 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    One time I gave my pigs just a tiny little piece of spinach, which they had never had before, and it really affected my pig Teddi. She reacted just like Leo. She wouldn't eat much at all and was listless for over 12 hours. I was in a panic and was going to take her to the vet the next morning. When I went in the next day to feed them their morning meal she came right out and started to eat her salad just like usual. I guess that spinach really upset her stomach. It seemed like once it went through her digestive tract she felt much better. Obviously I never gave them spinach again.

I'm so glad to hear that Leo seems to be feeling better. I hope you and your wife are also feeling better. Our pigs rely on us and when we are feeling sick it makes it so difficult to give them the best of care.
    Thank you, @Kelsie. I went to the doctor myself yesterday while Leo was at his Dr's appt. I have pneumonia. Yippee.

He does seem for the most part back to normal, other than not really drinking much.

Thanks
    Thanks
    691 Rec'd/597 Posts
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

I'm so sorry to hear you were diagnosed with pneumonia. I'm sure all of the stress that you have gone through with your pigs have put such a strain on your immune system. I've never had pneumonia but I have had other medical issues and a couple of surgeries that have really knocked me down and it took a while to feel like myself again. My thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

18. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Man, GPP -- you've been going through some tough times! I'm glad Leo seems to be doing better, and I hope you and your wife start feeling better soon too.

20. "Thank you, MaiaBex, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    74 Rec'd/50 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Get well wishes coming your way @GuineaPigPapa for all of you! Hope you all feel better soon.

User Tag List