Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning How To Properly Clean A Cage?

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
I heard that you need distilled vinegar. Is this true? If so, how do I get it? Do I make it? I've been substituting it with dish soap.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Plain vinegar will work just fine -- half water, half vinegar.

PuhlyaOneLove

Cavy Gazer
I clean the cage without anything, just water. I think, it's could be not good for a guinea pig to wash its cage with something?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I clean the cage without anything, just water. I think, it's could be not good for a guinea pig to wash its cage with something?

Washing the cage with plain water simply isn't washing it. The cage needs to be cleaned on a regular basis with some sort of cleaning solution. Listen to @bpatters.........a mixture of vinegar and water will work just fine. Let the surfaces of the cage dry before you put the cavies back into it.

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Plain vinegar will work just fine -- half water, half vinegar.

Doesn't the vinegar smell too much for them? I just tried using it (with water. In fact, I probably used more water than vinegar) and it smelled way too strong.. is there a way I'm supposed to mix it that I'm doing wrong?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Doesn't the vinegar smell too much for them? I just tried using it (with water. In fact, I probably used more water than vinegar) and it smelled way too strong.. is there a way I'm supposed to mix it that I'm doing wrong?

As I said, let the surfaces of the cage dry before you put the cavies back into it. The smell should dissipate shortly.

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
As I said, let the surfaces of the cage dry before you put the cavies back into it. The smell should dissipate shortly.

Oh, okay, thank you! I'll try that. Sorry that it took so long for me to reply. I kinda forgot my login.. The last time I did finally remember it, I didn't have enough time to stay on for that long..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.