Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding When to start bonding guinea pig who just lost their cage mate?

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, I am taking one of my guinea pigs in later today to go to sleep as she has a tumor in her stomach that is crushing her insides :sad::weepy::weepy::weepy::weepy::weepy::weepy::weepy:. I had Harley and Quinn in the same cage, but I have another cage with 3 guinea pigs. The cage with the 3 guinea pigs is big enough to hold 1 more pig. Since Quinn will be by herself, should I try bonding her with the others ASAP (it would have to be this weekend, so 3 more day), or should I wait longer? I have never lost a guinea pig before so this part is new to me. (I have bonded guinea pigs before).

Thanks for the advice through this rough time.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The pig has no concept of time, and will only know that she's alone. I'd do introduction as soon as possible. Just make sure the cage is completely cleaned and neither it nor anything in it, including bedding, smells anything like any of the pigs.

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
The pig has no concept of time, and will only know that she's alone. I'd do introduction as soon as possible. Just make sure the cage is completely cleaned and neither it nor anything in it, including bedding, smells anything like any of the pigs.

That makes sense, thank you. I am setting them up in a neutral territory Saturday and while my mom watches them I will be scrubbing everything down.

Thanks again.

PippathePig

Cavy Gazer
So sorry to hear about the piggie that you are losing :( I think your plan for this weekend sounds like a good one. Hugs!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.