Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Guinea Pig has weird fits where she starts headbutting everything and squeaking?

ThePiggieLover

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I'm a new piggie owner and I've recently adopted two piggies, one of my two has these fits throughout the day, (she has them maybe once or twice a day) out of nowhere she just starts headbutting things and making this squeaking noise that kind of resembles the sound a video-game character makes when you kill it, Its not a very high pitched sound and it doesn't sound very urgent but I check on her every time and she seems okay to me. At first I thought maybe she was feeling cramped in her hidey and wanted to move it with her head but she also does this out in the open headbutting the air. Shes generally a calm and decently skittish piggie, she is eating and drinking and doing everything as normal, she even exhibits an occasional popcorn :). She does not look sick at all (no crusties near nose, not coughing, has all her fur, etc.) I haven't had her very long only a week so far, her sister acts completely normal and doesn't headbutt things or make inexpiable noises. Oh and before I forget this piggie also sometimes makes this noise that sounds kinda like shes coughing up a hairball or trying to throw up, she never actually throws up and goes back to doing whatever she was doing right away. Should I be concerned for her? Is this a normal thing for new guinea pigs? I really love her, it doesn't seem like she is in any type of pain but has this ever happened to anyone else's piggies? Please please please let me know if you know anything.

Thank you!!!

(her name is buttercup by the way if anyone was wondering, and yes her name is equally as cute as her)

PippathePig

Cavy Gazer
If she is a new piggie, I would suggest taking her into an exotics vet to get her thoroughly checked out. It could be nothing, or it could be a symptom of something. How old is she, I don't think I saw it mentioned above?

Good luck, at the very least you can establish yourself as a client at the vet, in case you ever do need them in the future and need to get in to be seen. Good luck!

ThePiggieLover

Cavy Slave
Update: She has stopped doing it after a few more days, seems like it was some kind of nervous tick, she has now gotten to know her new surroundings, smells, and feeding schedule. She has started wheeking and popcorning too.

Thank you for the help!!

PippathePig

Cavy Gazer
Glad to hear she is feeling better!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.