Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C How Many C&C Pieces Should I Buy?

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Hi guys, I heard that C&C cages were a much cheaper alternative to traditional cages. The thing is though, out of all the things I'm bad at, I'm the worst at math. (In this case, estimating and measuring. So... Can somebody help me figure out how many pieces I need? If I measured Cupcake correctly, she is 8 inches long and 3 inches wide, if that helps. I'm incredibly sorry for asking you guys this, but I just feel sad every time I see her alone in such a teeny cage all the time. You guys are the only one helping to take care of her, lol. Nobody else believes anything I tell them about her. (Her cage is too small, she should have another pinny guig, etc.. Not even my aunt, who used to own two piggies of her own, believes that her cage is too small..)

Anyways, please answer. I'm also planning on getting another pig to keep her company after I get a bigger cage. I hope that's soon!

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
The math actually isn't too bad. C&C cages are calculated by number of pieces rather than actual dimensions. (The dimensions come in when you're trying to figure what size cage you can fit into a space.) For a single pig, you want at least a 2x3, although a 2x4 would be better. If you're planning on getting Cupcake a friend, definitely go with a 2x4 or a 2x5 if you have the space. A 2x3 would be 2+3+2+3, or 10 pieces total. (A 2x4 would be 12 pieces, and a 2x5 would be 14 pieces.) Each piece is 14" square (plus connectors, plus wiggle space), so I'd estimate a 2x3 at 30" x 45", a 2x4 at 30" x 60", and a 2x5 at 30" x 75".

Do you know what size of space you'd be putting the cage into? The beauty of C&C cages is that you can make them any size and shape you need to (within reason). So if a 3x3 fits your space better than a 2x4, you can do that; it's the same number of pieces in a 45" square. Or you can build in an L-shape if that's what fits your space the best.

I'm good at math, and I love drafting cage constructions - I'll happily help you figure this out! :cool:

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
The math actually isn't too bad. C&C cages are calculated by number of pieces rather than actual dimensions. (The dimensions come in when you're trying to figure what size cage you can fit into a space.) For a single pig, you want at least a 2x3, although a 2x4 would be better. If you're planning on getting Cupcake a friend, definitely go with a 2x4 or a 2x5 if you have the space. A 2x3 would be 2+3+2+3, or 10 pieces total. (A 2x4 would be 12 pieces, and a 2x5 would be 14 pieces.) Each piece is 14" square (plus connectors, plus wiggle space), so I'd estimate a 2x3 at 30" x 45", a 2x4 at 30" x 60", and a 2x5 at 30" x 75".

Do you know what size of space you'd be putting the cage into? The beauty of C&C cages is that you can make them any size and shape you need to (within reason). So if a 3x3 fits your space better than a 2x4, you can do that; it's the same number of pieces in a 45" square. Or you can build in an L-shape if that's what fits your space the best.

I'm good at math, and I love drafting cage constructions - I'll happily help you figure this out! :cool:

I don't know how much space I have. Though I'm willing to try to make more space. But there's a spot in my room that's (I don't think I measured or that I'll say this this correctly. But still..) 4×7(?) And thank you! I need all the help I can get because IDK how any of this works. I'd send a picture of her current cage for reference, but I think it's against the rules to post inadequate cages.

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
IDK on the posting rules... I'd think that since you've said it's just temporary until you can construct a larger cage that it'd be okay, but that's just my opinion. So guessing 4 feet by 7 feet? That's a decent amount of space. Might want to get a tape measure and check for sure though -- I can measure and *still* overestimate and have to adjust on the fly. :cool: (And btw... please do try to include units in your measurements. I can make a guess with what seems to make sense to me, but I could be wrong and if I'm way off it makes a difference in the construction.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.