Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Suspect Mites: where to find ivermectin in Canada

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Hello, recently my guinea pigs have been scratching very constantly and keep turning their heads to try to bite their backs, so I’m pretty sure they have mites. I checked their fur and don’t see any lice, and they both have no scabs or wounds. However, I still want to treat for mites as they scratch a lot and seem unhappy and uncomfortable. I live in Canada and have spent hours looking for ivermectin in Canada and I can only find the paste ones meant for horses. I don’t want to dilute this, because I don’t know how. Are there any Canadians here who know where I can buy pour on ivermectin. Thank you so much!

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your reply, I was looking for that product on a Canadian website but I couldn’t find it. Amazon.com carries it but not amazon.ca. Does anyone know a website where I can buy it and ship it to Canada or another product?

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Are there any Canadians on here who know where to purchase ivermectin? Thanks in advance

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Are there any Canadians on here who know where to purchase ivermectin?

Be a little patient and someone from Canada will come along and have some input. The Forum often moves slowly on the weekends.

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks. How long does it take for mites to worsen in guinea pigs? So far they have no missing fur or scabs. Will they be OK for a week without treatment?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Do you happen to have a TSC anywhere near you? Most carry it in store and I have purchased it there for around $20.

Amazon.ca used to have the correct product you're looking for, however I just went back in my previous orders and it's unavailable from the seller where I purchased it previously. I don't see any other listings either for the correct product.

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your reply, the closest TSC is an hour drive for me. Does TSC ship online?

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Also, if I manage to find the ivermectin pour on, how do I administer it? Do i just put one drop behind each ear?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I don't believe that TSC Canada ships it. I would call your closest store and verify with them wether shipping is an option or to double check they have the product before making the drive.

I use a syringe with a needle to withdraw the ivermectin from the vial, then remove the needle tip and equally distribute it behind each ear.

You can use the dose calculator from guinealynx. Make sure you know the strength of your ivermectin so your dose is accurate.

https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_topical.html

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Also, if I manage to find the ivermectin pour on, how do I administer it? Do i just put one drop behind each ear?

Unless your cavies are quite small, I would use literally two two drops on the bald spot behind the ear. Fold back the ear and rub it in. I would apply it weekly for four weeks.

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Ok, thank you so much. Do i need to clean all of their hidey houses or is it fine being left? Also, should I throw out my hay? I read from another forum they can get mites from hay or something?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They don't get mites from hay. As I recently said to someone else, every living thing in the world is covered in mites, including you and me. Sometimes there's an outbreak and you're aware of them, but most of the time you're not. Just treating them with ivermectin will be sufficient.

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks! I’m going to try to get the ivermectin this weekend.

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
I just called the tractor supply store that is an hour drive away and they said that they don’t carry ivermectin. Is there anywhere else I can get it? I asked a vet if I could buy ivermectin but they said they don’t sell it over the counter and I would need to bring in my guinea pigs which would cost over $200.

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
(Sorry for lots of posts) Is ivermectin not allowed to be sold in Canada anymore? Lost of people from Canada have bought the durvet ivermectin pour on (blue bottle) but now I can’t seem to find it anywhere. I’ve spent hours searching the web and I was only able to find it on American sites that don’t ship to Canada. Any help is deeply appreciated.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I haven't heard of any new regulations regarding it in Canada. It can come under different brand names (Bimectin, Ivomec) but it is still just ivermectin... definitely strange that TSC said they didn't have it. Another farm store that may have it is Sharpe farm supplies.

I also found this site quickly online which sells it, but it is pricey.

https://www.petsdrugmart.ca/Product/Ivomec-Injection-3831320/3280

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your help, when I called TSC the worker didn’t know what it was and they checked their computers. The pets drug mart is a bit too pricey for me. I checked Sharpe farm supplies too and the closest one is too far of a drive for me. :( Will my piggies be OK without any treatment for a bit while I try to find some ivermectin? They scratch every 10 minutes but have no sore spots or missing fur. Visually, their coat looks healthy.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I would try calling TSC again and hope you speak to someone else. I believe when I purchased it there, it was under the name bimectin. But if the worker seems confused, you can tell them it's a topical or injectable anti-parasitic drug used mainly for farm animals (cattle/swine/sheep) and then they at least know what to look for in proper terms.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the closest major city to you? There may be a rescue near by that knows of or has a source of ivermectin they could share with you.

Personally, I wouldn't really want my pigs to wait... it's an uncomfortable issue even if their coats aren't showing it. Will they be ok? Sure, it's unlikely they will suffer from long term effects of having mites, but it shouldn't go on too long as it is very uncomfortable for them.

Guinea_88

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your reply. The closest big city is Toronto, which is an hour drive away from my house. Every time I go to greet my piggies I see them scratch and it just makes me feel so bad because I know that they are uncomfortable. I’ve spent all day on my computer searching for ivermectin. I think I will call TSC again tomorrow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.