Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Gunea pig with sore bottom and soft stool?

• Thread starter butterflylover5
  • Start date

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
When I woke up this morning (Sunday) I noticed that my guinea pig's cage has some smeared poo in it. There are 2 girl pigs in this cage with a GuineaDad fleece liner, so it was easy to spot. When I went to clean the cage I noticed that there was quite a bit of really soft poo (not liquidy, just really soft) in the pocket. I noticed 1 of the pigs (Harley) didn't come out when I gave them veggies this morning. When I picked her up I noticed that she had quite a bit of poo stuck on her bottom (from pooing where she sleeps in the pocket) so I gave her a gentle bath with just some room temp water to help wash it off. When I was helping to wipe her bum off, she seemed to keep squealing in pain. When I was holding her so she could dry off, she was her same old sassy self (as long as her bum wasn't touched).

In recent months she been weighing anywhere from 1,000 gram to 1,300 grams, and when I weighed her this morning I noticed she was at 906 grams. I have 2 separate pig cages and the other cage (that was 3 pigs in it) had an almost empty water bottle and this cage was still pretty full. After Harley's bath, I put her back into a clean cage and I noticed that she did go right for the hay, but only took a bite or 2, got a sip of water and then went back to her pocket. Update: as I'm writing this, Harley did come out again and attempted to eat some hay but went right back to the pocket.

Please note that I will be calling the vet in the morning, but does anyone have ideas or suggestions to help until I can get ahold of them? The other girl in the cage (Quinn) seems to be doing good, she has been munching on the hay since the cage has been cleaned (she kinda chunky so this is very normal behavior for her).

Any advice until I call the vet tomorrow is appreciated!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I would remove the GD liner or at least put the pocket facing away from your cavies. If she has been sleeping in the poop, that may have scalded her bum and it is tender. Keep the Vet appointment as loose stool can be a symptom of g.i. upset and she may need to be put on a short course of meds.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What @spy9doc said. More than one pig I know of has had problems with Guinea Dad pockets. And soft stool and/or diarrhea are nothing to fool around with. Cut out all veggies and fruits until you see what the vet says.

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
I would remove the GD liner or at least put the pocket facing away from your cavies. If she has been sleeping in the poop, that may have scalded her bum and it is tender. Keep the Vet appointment as loose stool can be a symptom of g.i. upset and she may need to be put on a short course of meds.

What @spy9doc said. More than one pig I know of has had problems with Guinea Dad pockets. And soft stool and/or diarrhea are nothing to fool around with. Cut out all veggies and fruits until you see what the vet says.

Thank you both for your suggestions. That was a great idea and I did that. Unfortunately, it turns out she has a tumor that fills over 50% of her stomach and that's what's causing it.

Thanks again

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear that. Is there anything they can do for her?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It sounds so very serious! I know how difficult your situation can be because we feel so helpless to be able to help our beloved furballs. All the best to you moving forward.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.