Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Guinea pigs and ferrets?

PureElla

Cavy Slave
I might be getting a ferret soon. My guinea pig lives in his big cage, that can't be broken into by a ferret (hopefully). I am planning to get another cage for the ferret. Will it still be okay if I have a ferret and a guinea pig??

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Will it still be okay if I have a ferret and a guinea pig??

Why not?? So long as they aren't in the same cage, I don't see what the problem would be. I have little knowledge of keeping a ferret, but I don't know that I would put their cages side-by-side even if the ferret can't get into your cavy cage. Anyone else?

PureElla

Cavy Slave
They won't be side by side. They are a good 2 feet away. If anything, I could always move my guinea pig to my brothers room. The only issue I have, is that my guinea pig will get scared in some way? I don't know if the smell another animal may trigger something, like it does for a dog??? I just don't know, haha.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I would definitely have a really secure and safe cage for the guinea pig and the ferret. While domestic ferrets usually eat chow, they are descendants of wild ferrets that hunt rodents and mammals as large as a small rabbit. Your ferret will probably still have that instinct, and I suspect your guinea pig will pick up on a predator in the room right away.

petluv

Cavy Slave
I also think that your GP cage MUST have a secure closed top. There are instructions on here on how to close a C&C cage so it can still be easy enough to access your piggies as needed.

However, if the ferret is small he might be able to slide through the grids anyways as they are excellent at getting in the smallest of holes.

I would NEVER have them out at the same time and if you have out of cage time for your ferret you MUST keep constant supervision (not even leave the room for a minute) that your ferret doesn’t squeeze his way into your GP cage.

Otherwise it sounds like fun!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I really think it would be ok! I've never personally had them, but family has had them before... Ferrets are amazing little creatures, somewhat like kittens that never grow up :)

Ferrets are very much like cats when it comes to being hunters, it's just their natural instinct. Your piggy absolutely must have a sturdy cage that can't be broken into, and bars close enough together a ferret couldn't wriggle through ( if the ferret's head can fit, the rest of their body will fit ) And of course they can't be out at the same together.

As long as their cages were far enough away from each other the ferret couldn't chase or bother your piggy through the bars, I think they'll be ok. As long as your ferret never scares your piggy, I don't think the piggy would associate the smell with danger; but I don't know for sure.

PureElla

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! The cage is absolutely ferret proof. There is no way they can get in. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.