Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Guinea pigs and ferrets?

I might be getting a ferret soon. My guinea pig lives in his big cage, that can't be broken into by a ferret (hopefully). I am planning to get another cage for the ferret. Will it still be okay if I have a ferret and a guinea pig??

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,570 Rec'd/1,290 Posts
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)

Re: Guinea pigs and ferrets?

Quote Originally Posted by PureElla View Post
    Will it still be okay if I have a ferret and a guinea pig??
    Why not?? So long as they aren't in the same cage, I don't see what the problem would be. I have little knowledge of keeping a ferret, but I don't know that I would put their cages side-by-side even if the ferret can't get into your cavy cage. Anyone else?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

They won't be side by side. They are a good 2 feet away. If anything, I could always move my guinea pig to my brothers room. The only issue I have, is that my guinea pig will get scared in some way? I don't know if the smell another animal may trigger something, like it does for a dog??? I just don't know, haha.

Thanks
    Thanks
    60 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

I would definitely have a really secure and safe cage for the guinea pig and the ferret. While domestic ferrets usually eat chow, they are descendants of wild ferrets that hunt rodents and mammals as large as a small rabbit. Your ferret will probably still have that instinct, and I suspect your guinea pig will pick up on a predator in the room right away.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

I also think that your GP cage MUST have a secure closed top. There are instructions on here on how to close a C&C cage so it can still be easy enough to access your piggies as needed.

However, if the ferret is small he might be able to slide through the grids anyways as they are excellent at getting in the smallest of holes.

I would NEVER have them out at the same time and if you have out of cage time for your ferret you MUST keep constant supervision (not even leave the room for a minute) that your ferret doesn’t squeeze his way into your GP cage.

Otherwise it sounds like fun!

Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/78 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

I really think it would be ok! I've never personally had them, but family has had them before... Ferrets are amazing little creatures, somewhat like kittens that never grow up

Ferrets are very much like cats when it comes to being hunters, it's just their natural instinct. Your piggy absolutely must have a sturdy cage that can't be broken into, and bars close enough together a ferret couldn't wriggle through ( if the ferret's head can fit, the rest of their body will fit ) And of course they can't be out at the same together.

As long as their cages were far enough away from each other the ferret couldn't chase or bother your piggy through the bars, I think they'll be ok. As long as your ferret never scares your piggy, I don't think the piggy would associate the smell with danger; but I don't know for sure.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Thank you so much! The cage is absolutely ferret proof. There is no way they can get in.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

I'd keep them in separate rooms if you can. I've never had ferrets but I've heard they're avid escape artists and major hunters of small animals. I wouldn't be surprised if the guinea pigs were stressed out by their constant presence, and at the very least you'd remove the temptation for the ferrets to escape and try to get to the pigs if their cages weren't in sight of each other.

User Tag List