Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior My guinea pigs are acting different then normal

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
OK so some background info. My guinea pigs are usually very active and get a reaction when i come downstairs. They love running around...usually. alright into the point.Usually they like running around. Now they kinda just sit in there cages and just do nothing. They also like to sit in there den and do nothing. when i come they have reaction, but its very slow. they might just slowly walk over. When i put them on my lap or something they just sit there. might spin around and get comfy. which i like to watch but not the usual behavior. and i don't know if i should go take them to the vet or not. so if any advice is here please tell me i would love to hear it! thank you!

Mymisters

Cavy Slave
Take them in for a check up! guinea pigs are usually really good at hiding things that make them seem different than normal so if they're showing signs that they're human can tell are abnormal or not typical something is absolutely wrong. With a vet check up if nothing's wrong it would be cheaper than waiting if something is wrong and you caught it later in the stage of their sickness. At least get a second opinion from other people in this chat or from your local vet!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mymisters

Cavy Slave
Also you said downstairs are they kept too cold? It is winter and if they're in a basement you might need a heater. Other reasons could be they're getting used to you? how long have you had them? Have you heard any coughing or sneezing?

Mymisters

Cavy Slave
How old are they if you got them as babies and they're relatively Young arthritis wouldn't be a concern however if you adopted them sometimes age can be hard to tell maybe they're getting old?

Mymisters

Cavy Slave
How do their poops look lol I just wanted to ask that so that I could say that I did... Also that is a relatively good way to see how they're doing health-wise but also I just wanted to ask how their poops looked

Mymisters

Cavy Slave
How do their poops look lol I just wanted to ask that so that I could say that I did... Also that is a relatively good way to see how they're doing health-wise but also I just wanted to ask how their poops looked

"like shit" hopefully

Mymisters

Cavy Slave
What did you plan on doing as far as calling or visiting the vet?

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
no coughing no sneezing yes there kept downstairs yes its kinda cold and yes we might need a heater for next winter i have had then more 1 year turning 2 this year!

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
i dont think anything else i might ask my cousins but i was just thinking of bringing them to the vet then just see if they have anything wrong with them. Thanks for the concern!

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
they are 1 years old by now. I dont think there sick or anything but there acting different so i was just wondering.

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
Hhahaha It does look like normal crap. maybe there just cold or something. Thank for all the advice!

Mymisters

Cavy Slave
If the vet visit is affordable I would say do it, if you put a little bit of extra heat and make sure there is no drafts and they seem just fine it should be good to go

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
Thank you for all the advice again. This was very helpful

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
Thank you for this advice. it was extremely helpful. oops i accidentally said that twice

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Have they lost weight?
Have they gradually started to act like this over the last couple months, or did it happen in days?

If they've slowly gotten like this over a while, it could just because they're 1 year, going on 2 years old. As piggies get older, they naturally don't popcorn as much, or run around like crazy, etc :)

It's possible they're cold...when you get a heater, make sure it doesn't get too hot! 80° and warmer will make them too hot and risk heatstroke. It sounds like they're probably ok, but a vet check up wouldn't hurt.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
Do what your gut/intuition is telling you. I did that based on my piggies weigh and not finishing veggies and turned out he was getting sick and was caught pretty early because i knew something was wrong. You know you're piggies better than anyone else and it doesn't hurt to be on the safe side

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
Another suggestion for warmth -- try draping a light blanket over half of their cage. (Not the whole thing.) That can help keep drafts away while still allowing for air flow.

PuhlyaOneLove

Cavy Gazer
I'd rather get them to vet. It's better be sure than sorry.

PippathePig

Cavy Gazer
I would take them to a vet to be sure, otherwise (if you are like me), you will sit there and worry. Better to be safe, than sorry. I second draping a blanket over half the cage to help with any drafts. Good luck OP if you do decide to take them please come back and let us know what they say!

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
thanks you all for this useful advice i really appreciate it:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.