Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Wondering if my guinea is eating the right amount of pellets

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
Hi, I recently lost my ten year old guinea, and now I just have my two-and-a half year old boy. Now I can see exactly how many pellets he's eating, and I'm not sure if it's the right amount. He gets a cup of mixed fresh veggies a day, unlimited meadow grass (I'm allergic to timothy hay), and I've been filling his dish with a half cup of pellets, and measuring it at the end of the day. He's only eating about a 16th of a cup. He munches on hay all day long, though. He's quite short, only about nine inches, and weighs 2lbs 9oz, and doesn't seem to be loosing his appetite. He lives in a nine by three foot cage and gets lots of exercise. So, is he getting enough food if he's eating his hay and veggies as well?

He doesn't seem too upset right now, as he's still really playful and squeals for his veggies, but I am looking for a new buddy for him. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

cute piggy2.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The most important thing he needs is hay. His pellets would provide him with supplementary vitamin C, but if you are providing vitamin C through his daily veggies then you need not be concerned. Some pigs eat a lot of pellets. Some don't.

As long as his weight is healthy and stable, I think you're doing just fine.

Just as an aside, he's an adorable boy. I love his colouring.

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I won't worry then. Your piggies are gorgeous. I've never seen one with mixed brown and white colouring like that.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you, I won't worry then. Your piggies are gorgeous. I've never seen one with mixed brown and white colouring like that.

You mean my avatar? Those were my boys, Sly on the left, Pooper on the right. They were the best little fellas. I perhaps should change it to my current boys, but I keep it up there in their memory. :)

JaneD85

Cavy Slave
It's all fine, what's important is for him to eat as much hay as possible. I have a guinea and a rabbit, both are on a similar diet, and have never had issues with their weight or health. But they do indulge in hay a lot.

3piglady

Cavy Gazer
hi I'm sorry to go on to ur thread but I was wondering how I make one as I really need help with guinea pig

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
hi I'm sorry to go on to ur thread but I was wondering how I make one as I really need help with guinea pig

On the main page, scroll down. Choose a category that most describes what you need help with (i.e. Medical and Veterinary, and choose a subheading) Once you find one that best suits your needs, There is a pinkish button called Start Thread. Press it and go from there.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
@prettynyguen I don't have any advice to add that hasn't already been said...but I just wanted to also say how beautiful your piggy is!!! He's a perfect roan! I've always loved them, along with the agouti coloring like Guinea Pig Papa's piggies ( and one of mine :) ) All the best to you two!

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
thank you, he's a real sweetie :) The agouti's are beautiful, too.

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
thank you, he is always munching on his hay as well.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Pellets provide vitamins and minerals that they don't get in their veggies. Oxbow and KMS Hayloft are the best brands. I feed 1 TBSP in the morning and 1 TBSP at night. Generally it's 1/8th cup or 2 TBSP per day per adult pig. Less than 6 mo can have unlimited. My girl loves KMS Hayloft pellets which you can get on their website. Make sure pellets are timothy hay based since he's an adult (over 6 mo).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.