Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Abby's medical thread

petluv

Cavy Slave
Pig stomachs move because they're digesting food. At this point, you should be able to hear the pups' teeth gnashing, and feel definite kicking if you put your hands along her flanks. If you don't see/feel/hear both those things, it's likely she's not pregnant.
Really! I never knew that. I so hope that’s her issue. No no gnashing, but can feel movement, but maybe that’s the digestion as you said. She’s really chunked up, but I guess she was young when I got her. This is so nice to know that there is still hope she won’t have to go through it all. Thanks for sharing.:)

petluv

Cavy Slave
Okay so back to her itching problem. She had her second treatment of the Ivermectin this past Friday. She still is itching often. No bald spots or mats thankfully, but persistent itching every 5-10 minutes it seems. It almost seems she is itching MORE now that I have applied the 2 doses of Ivermectin. Is that normal or s the Ivermectin not working? I know she has one more dose next Friday but shouldn’t her itching be subsiding some by now? Should I take her to the vet to see if it might be something other than mites?

petluv

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have advice on what else her persistent itching could be besides mites?

petluv

Cavy Slave
Bpatters: she doesn’t have anything on her skin looking like those pictures, nothing on her skin or fur at all actually. Should I try it anyways?

Is there any possibility it could be an allergy to her hay or litter? Or even anxiety or depression related as she has been very anxious and seemingly lonesome since day one. I have a potential solution in the works for a cage mate, but for the next month or two she will still be a single piggy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Loneliness won't cause her to itch.

What strength of ivermectin did you use? And how much did you apply?

petluv

Cavy Slave
I used the brand and dose you referred me to on GuineLynxs. The Durvet Ivermectin Pour-On for Cattle, with 5 mg/ml of ivermectin. A drop behind each ear. once a week for two weeks so far. She has her last dose Friday. Shouldn’t the itching be subsiding some though by now?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It should be. Pigs often itch more right after the first treatment because the mites are reacting to the ivermectin, but by the second treatment, it should have subsided. I'd go ahead and do the third treatment, but I'd also bathe them with an antifungal shampoo.

petluv

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much bpatters! Yes I will certainly give her the last dose on Friday. What should the timing of the anti fungal bath be in relation to her dose of ivermectin? Also I’ve never bathed a piggy but have seen tutorials. Should I avoid her head and just wash her body?

petluv

Cavy Slave
Ok just reread that link. When I disinfect the cage, only the current litter and hay in the cage would be affected, not anything left in the bag correct?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, only disinfect the cage.

And yes, just bathe her body. If you do it in the kitchen sink, have someone help you -- they can panic and try to jump out. I always bathed mine in the bathtub. But I had weird pigs -- they all seemed to enjoy it.

petluv

Cavy Slave
Yes, only disinfect the cage.

And yes, just bathe her body. If you do it in the kitchen sink, have someone help you -- they can panic and try to jump out. I always bathed mine in the bathtub. But I had weird pigs -- they all seemed to enjoy it.
Ok so should I do the disinfect/anti-fungal bath first, let her dry thoroughly then the last dose of ivermectin? I don’t want to wash the medicine off accidently.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, I don't know that I'd do them the same day. Maybe the antifungal shampoo the day before the ivermectin treatment?

petluv

Cavy Slave
Well, I don't know that I'd do them the same day. Maybe the antifungal shampoo the day before the ivermectin treatment?
Ok I will do. I don’t know how long it will take to come after I order, so if it’s not here by Thursday I’ll do what we did for my dogs. Wait three full days before I bathe her after applying ivermectin. Do you think that sounds good enough?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep. Sounds like a plan.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.