Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General How To Take Guinea Pig To Vet?

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Hello, I am planning on taking Cupcake to the vet soon. So.. How do I do that? More specifically, how do I carry her there? Do I have to use a box or a cat carrier or something? Because I don't think I can carry her for that long. She doesn't like being held and I have trouble keeping my hands in a certain position for long. (I have to move them every once in awhile or else they'll feel really uncomfortable..)

(Also, while choosing tags, I remembered about vet bills. So.. How much would a normal checkup/ trimming cost? Sorry that I haven't trimmed her nails yet. I couldn't really see her quick and I'm a little squeamish.. Anyways, I'm drinking off. I always seem to do that in my posts.. Please answer!)

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use a small cat carrier. I bought a larger one as well to house both pigs in case of an emergency. I just use the small one with a very thick pad of folded fleece on the bottom, and one of their cozies to hide in to go to the vet.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
My two girls do not do well being together in a confined space, so I use two small dog carriers. Same as @Guinea Pig Papa, I line the bottom of the carrier with a thick fleece liner and then I put in a fleece tunnel, where they like to hide for the duration of the trip. Before I got the dog carriers, I made my own. I took a dollar store basket with lots of holes and attached bungee cords at the top, to use as handles. For a cover, I used a piece of fleece and used binder clips to secure the fleece to the top of the basket.

My vet charges $76 for a check up with the nail trim being another $43 or $48. I can't see paying that kind of money for a nail trim and due to hand issues I have, I'm not able to do it myself. So, I go to either a rabbit rescue or to another animal clinic and both facilities charges $10 per piggy. The only drawback is that both are located about 1.5 hours away as I take public transit. The good news is that I only have to take them 4 times a year. For the nail trim visits, I always make sure to carry veggies and a bottle of water with me so that I can feed them some wet veggies after their nail trims.

Last edited:

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Hello, I am planning on taking Cupcake to the vet soon. So.. How do I do that? More specifically, how do I carry her there? Do I have to use a box or a cat carrier or something? Because I don't think I can carry her for that long. She doesn't like being held and I have trouble keeping my hands in a certain position for long. (I have to move them every once in awhile or else they'll feel really uncomfortable..)

(Also, while choosing tags, I remembered about vet bills. So.. How much would a normal checkup/ trimming cost? Sorry that I haven't trimmed her nails yet. I couldn't really see her quick and I'm a little squeamish.. Anyways, I'm drinking off. I always seem to do that in my posts.. Please answer!)

I actually took my babies to the vet last night. I had to go buy a carrier in the small critters isle. Its good size for two guinea pigs. I bought mine at a Petco (USA)
Nail trimming - the vet can do it as part of normal health exam.
You can also purchase a small critter grooming kit, it comes with a brush, trimming scissors, and like a chew toy.
My normal healthy baby to check his health was $75.00

The second baby cost me $180 - because he's sick.
IMG_3507.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Small animal carriers are fine for taking them to the vet.

Vet costs vary widely across the country and even in the same city. Your best bet is just to call around and ask.

Do be sure that it's an exotic vet. Small animal vets treat dogs and cats, not pocket pets. You'll waste time and money and possibly endanger your pet by going to a vet that isn't trained in their care.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.