Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Please help complications with sow after giving birth

Dakoda12

Cavy Gazer
Hi my sow Mini has just given birth to two pups and she is not eating the placentas and there was a fair amount of blood? She now has a large thing extruding from the back of her and I don't know what it is but she is not bothered by it. I would attach a photo of it if I knew how. Please help I won't be able to sleep until I know she is fine.

Dakoda12

Cavy Gazer
Please help I don't know what I have to do will it fix it self or do I need to get a vet to help.

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
I have no experience with pregnant sows, but it sounds like you should get her to the vet. Even if it's not serious, it's better safe than sorry.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need to get to an exotic vet ASAP.

And please do not breed your guinea pigs. Pregnancy and delivery are very hard on both sows and pups, and the death rate is high. Guinea pigs can have genetic conditions that cause horrible consequences, and should never be bred by anyone who's not thoroughly acquainted with the things that cause those conditions. I'd go so far as to say they should never be deliberately bred at all, as there are enough accidental pregnancies to keep the breed going without any sows having to be deliberately placed in danger.

Dakoda12

Cavy Gazer
I didn't breed I adopted her and she was pregnant already before you start jumping to conclusions.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Get her to a vet ASAP, she may have prolapsed. Even if it isn't a prolapse anything hanging out post birth needs a vet urgently.

Dakoda12

Cavy Gazer
Have been to the vet today and had the prolapsed uterus put back in, given antibiotics, so need to just wait and see. She is not looking any better �� still not eating and I am giving her water from a dripper but she has not moved, hand feeding the new pup's a formula the vet gave me and keeping my fingers crossed she picks up over night.

Dakoda12

Cavy Gazer
A quick update my sow Mini has passed away about an hour ago. Now to care for her baby pup's.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. I've never had female pigs and couldn't comment on your issue with her.

Rest in peace, Mini.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry you lost her. A prolapsed uterus is a very serious thing in guinea pigs, and treatment is rarely successful.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Very sorry about Mini's passing and glad the pups are in your care.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It's always heartbreaking when one of our beloved fur babies crosses the Rainbow Bridge. It sounds as though you did everything possible for Mini and can find comfort in knowing that.

You are going to be a good piggy Mom to these pups. They are so lucky to have you! Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, Mini. :love:

petluv

Cavy Slave
I’m so sorry for your loss! It is so heartbreaking. The best way to continue to love Mini is caring for her sweet babies, which you are doing. :love:

PippathePig

Cavy Gazer
I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs. When you can, share pics of the pups! Good luck on hand raising them, and so sad about the momma. But, glad to hear you got her to a vet and tried to save her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.