Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing Hiccups/coughing

Kennas

Cavy Gazer
I have two 2year old male guinea pigs and one (or both, I can’t tell for sure) of them has been making a hiccuping sound off and on for the past week. Some days I hear it more often, but other days I only hear it every couple hours. I’ve looked into respiratory infections, but besides the hiccuping, they have no other symptoms. They haven’t lost weight, they’re still eating and drinking all day, they sleep about as often as they normally do, they don’t have runny noses or crusty eyes or anything. I haven’t taken them to the vet for this yet, just because I’ve been waiting to see if it gets better or if they show any other signs. Any thoughts on whether or not this could be a respiratory infection or if the hiccuping is just normal?
(sometimes Finn will hiccup/cough after eating too quickly, which makes me think this is him hiccuping now rather than Thomas, but I have t been able to catch him in the act. And when he hiccups now, he’s no where near his food when I go over to the cage so it’s not like he was eating to quickly again.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.