Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Unknown Skin Condition

celliespiggies

Cavy Slave
Hey Everybody.
I'm new to the forum but I wanted to reach out for help from other guinea pig owners because we've been dealing with an unknown skin issue for about a year now. My guinea pig Lily is 2 years old and in March 2019 she started growing tiny little legions on her eyes and mouth. We took her to the vet, they tested for mites and it came back negative. We also did a biopsy and nothing came back. She's been on antibiotics and flamazine (antibacterial agent) since May, but nothing seems to be working. The vet asked us to remove the growths every few weeks, which we've been doing, but it only causes her pain + distress just for it to grow back within a day. Please let me know if this looks familiar to any of you. There's two other guinea pigs in the cage but it is not contagious to them. There's also rabbits in the same room but in a different area, if that makes a difference.

unnamed-3.jpg

Attachments

unnamed-2.jpg unnamed-1.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What all medicines have you tried? And what strength? And for how long?

If she hasn't seen any improvements on antibiotics, I'd treat for a fungus. I can't really tell how smaller lesion is to the eye, but if goes all the way to the eye, you'd need an ophthalmic prescription to treat that.

For the one about her mouth, you could try Lotrimin. You'd need to apply with a q-tip and rub in well so she can't ingest it while she's grooming herself. Most antifungal medicines can be taken orally, so I wouldn't worry about her getting a tiny bit of it, but you don't want to leave it visible on her skin.

Were you seeing an exotic vet? I can't imagine a vet that knows anything about guinea pigs looking at that and thinking it might be mites.

celliespiggies

Cavy Slave
They claim to be an exotic vet clinic but she told me to put my guinea pigs on wheels once, which confused me because any guinea pig owner knows they can't use them because of their spines. I forgot to mention I've been using an ophthalmic ointment (0.3% tobramycin) for her eyes. I've been using that since May 2019, I apply it twice a day along with flamazine (1%) on the ears, nose, and mouth. I feed her baytril twice a day as well (2 150mg tabs crushed in 10ml syrup). I give her 0.35 mL of that. They have given her revolution for mites as well. Once in May and at her last vet visit which was a few days ago. I didn't think it was necessary.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yeah, guinea pigs on wheels is a big no-no. Can you find another exotic vet? I think [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION] is in Ontario -- he might be able to help you come up with one.

The tobramycin only treats a certain subset of bacterial infections, and would be completely ineffective against a fungus. Flamazine is also ineffective against fungus.

If she were mine, I'd get some Lotrimin and apply it to her nose. It won't hurt, and it actually might help. If it does, you can then see about finding an exotic vet to prescribe something antifungal that can go in the eyes.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sure, I'll do whatever I can to help out. Whereabouts in Ontario are you located?

celliespiggies

Cavy Slave
I will give Lotramin a try then, thank you. I was searching about it last night, do you think it could be Cheilitis? this is the link I was looking at and it looks just like what she has. https://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html . Only her case is more severe and is all over her face, not just her lips.
[MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION] I'm located in Barrie, Ontario.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd think if it were cheilitis, the antibiotics would have helped. But it's possible, I suppose. Do see a good exotic vet for treatment.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I will give Lotramin a try then, thank you. I was searching about it last night, do you think it could be Cheilitis? this is the link I was looking at and it looks just like what she has. https://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html . Only her case is more severe and is all over her face, not just her lips.
@Guinea Pig Papa I'm located in Barrie, Ontario.

A little digging around led me to Big Bay Animal Hospital. Their site says they specialize in care and treatment for ferrets, gerbils, guinea pigs, hamsters, iguanas, rabbits and snakes.

Here is their contact info: 350 Big Bay Point Road
Barrie, Ontario, L4N 8A8
Phone: (705) 735-1414
Email: [email protected]

And their website. https://bigbayvet.ca/

I've also come across Huronia Veterinary Emergency Clinic. They also offer a wide variety of critical veterinary medical services for piggies.

391 Dunlop St W
Barrie, ON L4N 1C3
Phone: 705-722-0377

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.