Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ongoing Teeth Issues & Weight Loss

Hi Everyone,

My 2 year old Bilbo has been experiencing major issues with his teeth since August /September last year.
    His teeth were overgrown and we took him in for a trim. Unfortunately they found that it's not his teeth causing an issue, it is a sudden jaw movement which is causing misalignment. Since then we have been having his teeth every fortnight. We had an x-ray done full body, and this only showed that his teeth and roots were quite long, but no evidence of disease in the gums, ulcers etc.
    Since everything has happened with his teeth, he cannot eat anything hard including grass, hay, veges etc. Everything he eats is either mushed up pellets, blended food, baby food etc. Over time, his jaw has moved back into place more, but not as well as what we hoped.
    He has been doing well weight wise until recently where he is hovering around 700, we had him nearly at 800. But he is still eating plenty of his foods.
    Can anyone suggest anything?
    The exotics vets I see here have no answers anymore and just believe that this could be now more of his condition.
    He loves pumpkin and sweet potato, is there anything else that might be good for soft chewing / weight gain for him?
    I might add he's on Meloxicam twice a day at the moment as he's been a bit off since his regular trim last week, but still full of energy and eating and drinking. I've just noticed his weight loss.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,243 Rec'd/5,770 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3812 Post(s)

Re: Ongoing Teeth Issues & Weight Loss

Several pigs with jaw problems have had good luck with chin slings. It won't cure all of them, but it does help some specific conditions. See http://www.guinealynx.info/chinsling.html.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Ongoing Teeth Issues & Weight Loss

The exotics vet mentioned that this may hurt him more than help so we didn't try this option. I did look into it though as a option before going to them with it :(

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

User Tag List