Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Guinea Pig Jumped Out of Hand and Isn't Acting Normally

renkun99

Cavy Gazer
Hello, this is quite urgent, my young female guinea pig fell out of my hands when I picked her up out of her cage and is now acting very lethargic and breathing heavily. I tried to entice her using hay, but she can barely lift her body to reach it. She tries to get up, but tends to fall over and lay down after a few seconds. My dad does not get his next paycheck for 3 days, and I'm worried that her condition is severe and I don't want her to get worse. I would like some suggestions on how to care for her until we can take her to the vet, thank you.

PiggyBaby

Cavy Slave
Hello, this is quite urgent, my young female guinea pig fell out of my hands when I picked her up out of her cage and is now acting very lethargic and breathing heavily. I tried to entice her using hay, but she can barely lift her body to reach it. She tries to get up, but tends to fall over and lay down after a few seconds. My dad does not get his next paycheck for 3 days, and I'm worried that her condition is severe and I don't want her to get worse. I would like some suggestions on how to care for her until we can take her to the vet, thank you.

I would recommend that you take her ASAP~ she could have broken something, is there no way you could bring her to the vet? she MIGHT not make it in 3 days especially if she stops eating.

As for the care, theres nothing much that can be done because we're not professional vets, but maybe you can closely monitor her actions, see if she seems to be in pain when walking or anything

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She needs to be seen by a vet now. She's undoubtedly in pain, and may have punctured a lung with a broken rib.

This is why everyone with a guinea pig needs an emergency vet fund on hand at all times. You may never need it, but if you do, you've got it. Your pig depends on you for everything, and medical care is just as much as part of responsible pet ownership as food, water and housing.

renkun99

Cavy Gazer
I would recommend that you take her ASAP~ she could have broken something, is there no way you could bring her to the vet? she MIGHT not make it in 3 days especially if she stops eating.

As for the care, theres nothing much that can be done because we're not professional vets, but maybe you can closely monitor her actions, see if she seems to be in pain when walking or anything

My dad and I are watching her closely, she's doing better, her breathing is fine but she's not eating so we're going to take her to a vet tomorrow. My issue now is she's not eating, so is there anything I can do to entice her to eat? Thanks for the advice.

PiggyBaby

Cavy Slave
My dad and I are watching her closely, she's doing better, her breathing is fine but she's not eating so we're going to take her to a vet tomorrow. My issue now is she's not eating, so is there anything I can do to entice her to eat? Thanks for the advice.

When guinea pigs don't want to eat, then there's no way you can entice them, did she totally not have a bite in the past 24 hrs? How about drinking water?

RoseCarter

Cavy Slave
How frightening and worried you must be. I understand about not having a exotic pet vet near by. I'm out in the middle of nowhere. Local vet takes care of everything. I have to drive 200 miles for an exotic vet. Hope your pig is ok. Keep us informed and good luck.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.