Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puppy Pads New to fleece.

RoseCarter

Cavy Slave
I have a 30x50 homemade cage and am getting ready to switch to fleece. I will be making my own liners. Wanted to know if puppy pads work well. Have thought about cloth diapers for my absorbant layers. Has anyone tried diapers? If so what were your thoughts?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it were me, I wouldn't sew that much fleece and padding together. You may have a hard time getting it washed and dried. If you've got burrowing pigs, then I'd suggest finding someway to wrap the fleece around a little and fasten it to the bottom of the padding so they can't get under it. That way, you can disassemble it to wash it.

RoseCarter

Cavy Slave
Not sure how I'm going to assemble it yet. I have several yards of fleece but no absorbant yet. Have been looking into my options.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I use washable incontinence bed pads for the absorbent layer under the fleece. They can be washed hundreds of times.

RoseCarter

Cavy Slave
If I just layer will they get tossed around the cage when piggies start zipping around? The traditional bedding goes everywhere. Lol Has anyone made a frame to hold it all in place?

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
If you have enough fleece, maybe you can fold it underneath the absorbent layer, that is how I do it. I use towels and washable incontinence pads and with the fleece folded underneath everything stays in place.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I've seen pictures on this forum where the fleece was velcroed to the coroplast. Maybe that will work for your needs.

RoseCarter

Cavy Slave
I'm not using coroplast. The bottom of my cage is a clear sheet of plexiglass. Once the design is complete I will post pictures.

RoseCarter

Cavy Slave
Just ordered two washable pads for the center of my cage. Fleece is ready to try. Meantime I'm using disposable bed pads that have a waterproof bottom. I put the liners down first then placed fleece on top. I watched my piggies to see their reaction. They both had to taste the fleece but never pulled it off the absorbant layer. After a few minutes both started running around the cage..in and out of their tunnels..all to our delight. Okay guinea pig friends..I'm convinced that this stuff is magic.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.