Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming How To Cut Nails?

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Hey guys! It's recently come to my attention that Cupcake's nails are too long. I've been meaning to cut them, but I'm too scared of myself. I don't want to cut them too deep! Does anyone know how to properly cut them? Someone told me that if I don't cut them soon, they'll get infected! Someone here suggested to use cat scissors, but I don't have any of those..

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Someone here suggested to use cat scissors, but I don't have any of those..

Then buy a set of the scissors. They are ridiculously inexpensive and available at virtually any pet store. The secret to not cutting too short is to cut just beyond the "quick" or the vein in the nail. Position the scissors and squeeze down about half way. If you are too close to the quick, the piggy will likely cry out. If he doesn't, then apply more pressure to cut the nail.

Roll him up in a small hand towel burrito style to confine him with his head covered and back feet sticking out. Restrain him against your abdomen with your arm and elbow and use that hand to hold each toe steady as you cut with the other hand. The back nails are the most difficult and a cavy will often try to kick and get away. Don't be afraid of hurting him. When the back nails are done, sit him in your lap with his back against you........still in the burrito, but with his head and front feet sticking out. Wear gloves as even the tamest piggy may try to bite, especially if you cause any discomfort.

Still having difficulty? Have a vet tech show you how to do the procedure.

petluv

Cavy Slave
I am also a fan of the ‘burrito’ method. If you have a scared piggy it keeps them still and safe, and if you have a nipper it keeps you from getting nipped!

If if you are still unsure, as spydoc said, if you ask the vet tech will let you watch the procedure. If even after that you are still uncomfortable they usually will do a trim for $20 or less. Every 6 or so weeks that’s not bad to keep peace of mind.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
As long as you're careful, it's nothing to be super scared of! :)
I use normal, human nail clippers. Though some people are the opposite; I personally think it's harder to make a mistake with them, and I'm more comfortable with them.
If your piggy has light colored nails, you'll be able to see (or faintly see) the pink, flesh colored quicks. As long as you don't cut them, or cut right against the tip of them, the nail clip won't hurt your piggy at all. As a precaution you can always trim the nail a little less than you think you should; or trim just the nails' very tips your first time.

With each nail trim, the quicks will begin to recede, making it easier once you start regularly trimming her nails. Most people do their piggies nails once a month, but if her nails are very overgrown now, you could probably trim a tiny bit off once a week until they're normal length.

We just have one person hold the piggy normally (usually with a treat ) while a second person trims. bpatters' link is really fantastic, and everyone helped me so much with nail trim advice here, too: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...ail-trim-phobia-please!?p=1013202#post1013202

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
We use a regular nail clipper, when we took Checkers to the vet he used a regular nail clipper as well. One trick we found that worked is a flashlight with a red light will illuminate the the quick. Note it does not work on a black paw.

PiggyBaby

Cavy Slave
I normally get the help of a family member to hold my piggies while I cut their nails using a nail clipper for cats. If you hold them up close to a light source you can actually see their flesh easier. My little Butter has black nails on her back feet haha. Those are a little tricky. But looking carefully with a light source, it'll help.

Another tip I found online is to just cut a tiny bit at the tip. And the flesh in the nail would actually retract and get a little shorter. When I first adopted my 3 babies, their nails were crazy long, had to use that method and cut their nails every week in order to get their nails shorter

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.