Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Flaky, hard, bloody skin.

Leoollytundra

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I recently discovered a small patch on Tundra’s bum that is not covered by hair, large, flaky, dark, hard, and scabby. I do not know if this is mites, an infection, dry skin, or what. I am hoping on getting some insight on what it could be or if he needs immediate vet action. We rescued him so we do not know how old he is. He doesn’t get along well with our other pigs and is kept separate so it could not be from them. Please help!!!
5FA56DA2-8E43-4BA4-84A9-202CFE52988B.jpgBE6980CD-4E96-4B8F-920F-FFB7FCCD4ED6.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd assume fungus to start with. Lotrimin is a good medication -- apply it sparingly twice daily with a q-tip and rub it in well. Do this for several days, and if you don't see any improvement, post back here and we'll try something different. If it does improve, then keep applying it even after the hair starts to grow back -- fungus can be hard to get rid of.

Does he scratch the area?

Leoollytundra

Cavy Slave
He does scratch it. The area has a little bit of bloody scabs. I purchased the Lotrimin over the weekend and have began to give it to him. Should I take him to the vet? Also the medication doesn’t sting or hurt him in any way right? He wasn’t happy with me applying it or even touching the area. His fur is falling out more and more. I just want to help him): hopefully this works. Thank you for the help

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He wouldn't be happy with you applying it. Mites make pigs very grumpy and reluctant to be touched, but it needs to be done for you to apply the medicine. Also, the liquid may make the mites temporarily more active, so the pigs feels the irritation more than usual.

You can always go to the vet, but unless this turns out to be a very stubborn case, it's something you can treat yourself for much less money than a vet visit. It'll take a few days to take effect, but if the problem is fungus, you should begin to see some improvement by the end of the week.

Leoollytundra

Cavy Slave
Hello, my other guinea pig now has something near his eye. Is this the same thing? His other eye is crusty but his right looks bloody. It didn’t look like this yesterday. This pig had a poke in his eye a month ago and needed drops from the vet. But in the opposite eye. Please help! 092F75F7-0BF8-40B4-8B6D-BF573B152CFD.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It looks fungal to me.

Did you apply an antifungal cream to your other pig? If so, did it help?

Leoollytundra

Cavy Slave
That’s what I thought too. Yes I used the cream on Tundra the first pig who got it and it seems to be much better! Thank you for that information on the cream. I will try to use that on ollys eye to prevent more spreading. Do you have any tips to getting the medication on his eye easier? He’s very squirmy and when I had to give him eye drops for his scratch and it took me almost an hour to do it every time. ):

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll just have to hold him firmly. Grasp his head behind his jaw, so his jaw won't get yanked out of place if he jerks his head, and hold on for dear life. He'll think you're killing him, but you'll both survive.

Leoollytundra

Cavy Slave
I’ve managed to get it on him, but he keeps scratching it off and the scab. Now it’s like an open wound. I don’t know if I should continue the cream or use something to help it heal): 8E220BB1-4681-435C-909A-E0D842BAF75A.jpg

Leoollytundra

Cavy Slave
Help! Olly my same pig who is always prone to something has a big numb on his nose/head that also is giving him a hoppy crusty eye. I don’t know what happened! I open someone has an idea or knows if I should take him to the vet.! C6E861BE-5B8B-459D-A1AB-2AB98AD2A20F.jpg3F7AB64F-BA92-4469-9B28-6458500DA451.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It looks like fungus, and ordinarily you could treat it yourself with something like Lotrimin. But because it's so close to the eye, and you can't get Lotrimin in his eye, you will need to take him to the vet. Just be sure to see an exotic vet -- small animal vets mean cats and dogs, and they're not trained in the care of pocket pets.

Leoollytundra

Cavy Slave
A7D81312-2AEA-4499-BF71-5FCDE75519F5.jpgHello all,

really need some advice on my baby Olly. I took him to the vet again yesterday and they said he needed a surgery to remove and drain an abscess in his head. It has pushed into his nose and eye and looks extremely painful. The vet quoted the surgery would cost between $750 and $1000 plus additional after care visit costs $50-100 per visit. If he does not get the surgery my only other option is to let him pass or put him down. I am stuck on what to do. He always is at the vet with medical problems. Has anyone been through this surgery with their pigs and can share anything about it? They said they would drill into his head and would leave it open to drain everything. I would have to flush it out. I need to decide soon and am having such a hard time figuring out the right choice for him and myself. Yesterday the vet gave me 3 medications for him in the meantime: baytril, an anti inflammatory, and eye drops.

please message me back I am currently a mess about this alll.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I haven't run into that before. But if it were me, I'd have some questions.

First, is this an exotic vet with experience in guinea pigs?

Second, has s/he ever done a surgery like this before?

Third, how did they diagnose the abscess?

And fourth, can you get a second opinion before you decide?

Leoollytundra

Cavy Slave
Yes this is an exotic vet with experience with guinea pigs and this surgery which she said is actually quite common. They diagnosed the abscess visually, and will get x-rays done to ensure this is the case if I opt for surgery. This doctor was the second opinion that I had gotten, the first vet also said the same thing about a surgery into the cranial area but he was not comfortable doing the procedure.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then I'd have it done if I could afford it.

It's a sad fact of life that economics sometimes interferes with our ability to get good medical care for our pets. Everybody should have a pet fund for emergencies, but few of us have one large enough to afford that surgery.

How old is he?

Leoollytundra

Cavy Slave
Yes I was thinking of utilizing care credit. He is about a year and a half. He has had so many medical problems already since I got him just over a year ago. But he’s my most emotional and loving pig Forsure. It’s tough!

Cathryn

Cavy Slave
I am sorry to hear you have to face that decision. I recently had to make the decision to let my 4 5yo boy go. He also was always getting some sort of health issue despite being clean, dry, warm, with a great diet. Then he got severe seizures one day and it was going to be hit and miss with determining the cause. I had the option of going to follow up with an exotic vet but he was so unwell and it was just sad for him.

He didn't understand all the stuff that needed to be done to him. And especially with his health always being up and down, I wasn't sure if he would have a peaceful life without being poked and prodded.

That was a sad day. But he had a very good life for a little dude. And I am sure your little one will appreciate all you have done for him.

Leoollytundra

Cavy Slave
Please help! My little pig Olly Is having more problems with the abscess on his head.

the vet opened the abscess in March and flushed it out with fluid. I have been continuing to do that since. Today I saw a larger than normal scab on the hole and removed it with the solution to flush out the puss. I then realized there are two holes in his head not one. One on top of the other with a piece of skin in between. I tried to get all the puss out and flush it with a syringe to get the rest out. When I moved his fur I was able to see through the holes into his head... it didn’t seem normal at all. I tried to get the best photos I could but his hair is long. If anyone has any advice or had this problem with their pigs PLEASE help me. I tried to call the vet but no answer. Help EC4CBB11-9583-48D6-9064-7B9BF0043A38.jpgE0AA5E8C-A7E1-4515-9A09-6D74E5C94AB2.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What kind of solution are you flushing with?

Did the vet give him any antibiotics when he was first treated?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.