Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Is Lavender Scented Bedding Safe?

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Hey guys! The other day I was looking for some new bedding and saw a bag of lavender scented bedding. (If you want to know the name, it's Kaytee Clean & Cozy). So I got it thinking that the smell would help mask her poop so we wouldn't get any flies. Before I use it, is it any good? The bag smells kinda strong and I don't want my li'l piggie to be smelling nothing but that for a week straight.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No. Do not use ANYTHING scented for your pigs. They are prone to upper respiratory infections and should be as scent free as possible.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use it. And using anything to mask the scent won't prevent flies. The only thing that will prevent flies is regular, frequent cage cleaning.

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Thanks, guys! I'll make sure to steer clear from now on! BTW, sorry that I replied so late! For some reasons I haven't been notifications lately.

petluv

Cavy Slave
As the others said scented paper or wood bedding is a no no. Plain paper or aspen wood (or a combo thereof) are the only safe disposable bedding choices. My girl is a big pooper. She can only go 5 days before she needs a total cage cleaning. Sometimes they just can’t make it a whole week for that thorough deep clean.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.