Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Veggies How To Get Guinea Pig To Eat Veggies?

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Hello, Cupcake is really picky. She won't eat 60% of the fruits/veggies I give her. From what we've given her, she's eaten celery, (sometimes) parsley, cilantro, and romaine lettuce, (I think?). Does anyone know how to help her open her horizons?

petluv

Cavy Slave
Hello, Cupcake is really picky. She won't eat 60% of the fruits/veggies I give her. From what we've given her, she's eaten celery, (sometimes) parsley, cilantro, and romaine lettuce, (I think?). Does anyone know how to help her open her horizons?
Wow that’s more than my piggy eats! She only eats leaf lettuce and carrots. She snubs everything else.

Piggies can can be very picky. Especially pet piggies who know they have a choice. ;)

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I think bpatters' link will really help you! You can also try mixing small bits of new veggies in with veggies she does eat. And be careful with the celery, cilantro, parsley, and romaine. All of them are high in calcium, and too much of them too often can cause bladder and kidney stone problems for certain piggies. They're ok for treats though! Have you tried bell pepper? My piggies love it, and it's very important for them to get it for vitamin c. And instead of romaine you can try butterhead, red or green leaf lettuce; they're far lower in calcium and great for piggies to have every day.

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I'll make sure to try those tips out! I have one question though, how do I properly mince the food? Can I use a knife to cut it? Or is there another easier way?

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
I tried to feed her a piece of a yellow one but she ignored it.. I'm going to try again in a few mins though. That burrito idea sounds really good!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know how you'd mince anything except with a knife. Just cut it into tiny, tiny pieces.

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Okay, thank you! I'm going to try again tomorrow. I tried cutting some bellpeppers earlier, but she completely ignored the chunks..

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Put the minced pepper on her pellets. She won't be able to miss them all, and will eventually get used to the taste.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.