Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Goodnight Domino, Love you forever <3

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Yesterday little Domino peacefully left this earth. I am extremely devastated and still can’t believe my boy is gone. I don’t even know how I can possibly be writing this. I know it was coming, but when it happened I still couldn’t believe what I was experiencing.

Sorry for the long and sappy post, don’t feel you have to read the whole thing.

Domino was my first guinea pig. I remember so clearly the day we got him. We had decided to stop at the Petco after church to simply take a LOOK at the guinea pigs (I know to adopt now) but when we saw him we knew we just had to get home. I brought him home in his little cardboard box, and placed him in his little pet store cage. He would run laps around it every morning, you could hear the little bell on his chew toy jingling as he passed it each time. And then how we built your new cage and the first thing you did was eat hay in the kitchen area, instead of popcorning like in YouTube videoslol

Domino, I will always remember your sassy attitude, snatching food out of my hand and biting my fingers as I put your kibble bowl in because you were so excited. And your interior design skills of moving your hidey houses and tunnels wherever you pleased, sometimes putting it in front of a wall for your ultimate privacy. I will never forget the long hours of cuddles and seeing you sleep in my lap. And I will never forget the excitement in your eyes when your favorite food, hay, was placed in the cage as you tried to grab all the fuzzy pieces. You have been in my life for almost 7 years, and it just seems so hard to live it without you.

Putting you to sleep is one of the hardest decisions I have made in my life. I still feel guilty that just that morning you were eating a veggie cake I made you. But I know that with your progressive neurological issues leaving almost all of your legs paralyzed, eyes not working properly, and breathing getting heavier we could give no cure on earth. But most importantly, I knew that if you had to die on your own, which could be any day now, it could be painful and not in the nearest peaceful. I am so glad I could see you peacefully doze off, as I pet you for the last time. I hope you are happy at the rainbow bridge, grazing on fuzzies and chowing on lettuce and cucumber skins all day long:love:

You have taught me so much about love and care. Me and my sisters would write songs and books about you and brush your black and white rosettes together. I came on this forum many times asking questions so I could make sure you have the best life. I spent long hours on YouTube finding new ways of spoiling you. Half my camera roll is filled with pictures of you:love:

Yoive been through many health concerns. A previous URI, a bump which was supposed to be removed surgically but the disappeared right after we got the invoice (hmmmm), and dealing with arthritis which you handled like a king. This time, it was time to go, even though I still can’t fully accept it. I still see pictures of you and think you are just grazing in my room.

I still can't believe I'm writing this, and I'm absolutely heartbroken. But I find comfort that he is at peace.

Me and Carl miss you, as well as the whole family. Love you Domino:love:

And thank you to everyone on the forum, I don’t think he would have done so well without you resources, community and answers to my questions. I am so lucky to have this community.

:love:Domino Oreo C. December 2012 - January 2020:love:

IMG-5675.jpg
IMG-3128.jpg

IMG-0728.jpg
IMG-2338.jpg

Attachments

IMG-3357.jpg

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I also wanted to share this video, which the post wouldn't let me upload. It is him eating his 7th Birthday cake. It was this December, on the 13th.

[video=youtube_share;3RE-hPUA9JM]https://youtu.be/3RE-hPUA9JM[/video]

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Not sappy at all, but beautiful :love: I'm sorry for your loss of a piggy so special. You gave him a wonderful life, and the love he gave you in return you'll have forever. Eat all you wish and be happy at rainbow bridge, Domino!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost him.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It always pains me to hear someone has lost a piggie. It's especially hard when you know it's coming, and so unbelievably painful and difficult when you have to make that last decision.

I could say things like, "7 years is a great life" but that doesn't matter. It doesn't help. Your little one is gone and there isn't any comfort in that.

I am so, so sorry for your loss. No matter what second thoughts you might have, no matter how many "what ifs" enter your mind, know you did the right thing for Domino. You loved him enough, so much in fact, that you let him go when he needed it the most.

Rest in peace, sweet little boy. Sweet green grass, veggie cake every day, and great new little friends at the Rainbow Bridge. Take your families' love with you as you journey.

petluv

Cavy Slave
Your post was very touching and a beautiful tribute to a great piggy. I’m so sorry you lost your sweet baby Domino. You did the right thing to give him such a peaceful and painless last sleep. He will forever be grateful for that as he knows how hard a choice it was for you. Enjoy pet heaven with all your new piggy friends little Domino!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
My condolences on losing little Domino. He was so lucky to spend his life loved and so well cared for.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, thank you so much for the kind words. They really mean a lot to me.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I can really feel your pain. My last remaining boy crossed the Rainbow Bridge on New Years Day and I still cannot believe the profound grief that I am experiencing. :sad: Even though he had been ill for about six months, I simply wasn't prepared for the overwhelming sense of loss and the ensuing grief that I am experiencing. I even have difficulty buying produce because I still find myself looking for the perfect green beans, just the right size radicchio, the freshest dandelion greens for Sparky.

What a great life Domino must have had with your family! You were fortunate to have him for seven years. We lost Sparky just after his fourth birthday (he had CHF). And like you said, I have learned so much from all my cavies.......and especially Sparky. Life is so simple for them and they can teach us so much if we are open to it. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful tribute to your boy. :love:

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc New Years sounds awful, I’m so so sorry. I had a similar situation happen to me the day after I put domino to sleep: My mom bought cherry tomatoes and had placed them on the table for dinner, and my first instinct was to make sure to give Domino some, but then I burst out crying:sad:

I just want to thank everyone again for the comforting words. I am so glad I have a community where I can really resonate with people. It’s crazy how much they embed into your life. Even my dad was crying, and I never see him cry. They truly are a part of the family and will always be:love:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@spy9doc New Years sounds awful, I’m so so sorry. I had a similar situation happen to me the day after I put domino to sleep: My mom bought cherry tomatoes and had placed them on the table for dinner, and my first instinct was to make sure to give Domino some, but then I burst out crying:sad:

I just want to thank everyone again for the comforting words. I am so glad I have a community where I can really resonate with people. It’s crazy how much they embed into your life. Even my dad was crying, and I never see him cry. They truly are a part of the family and will always be:love:

You're in similar company. Pooper has been gone 3 years. Sly a year and a half, and Punkin only 3 months. Not a day goes by that I don't think of all of them in some capacity. And yes. I still shed tears over them. Most of us here feel the same way about our precious furballs.

They truly are members of the family to a lot of us. And their loss is no less than any other family would be. I grieve over my boys no different.

That's what unconditional love is.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Code:
You're in similar company. Pooper has been gone 3 years. Sly a year and a half, and Punkin only 3 months. Not a day goes by that I don't think of all of them in some capacity. And yes. I still shed tears over them. Most of us here feel the same way about our precious furballs.

They truly are members of the family to a lot of us. And their loss is no less than any other family would be. I grieve over my boys no different.

That's what unconditional love is.[/QUOTE]

You said that so perfectly. May they all dance happily over the rainbow bridge:love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.