Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

3 weeks baby guinea pigs with mange

Hello, I'm a new member here and I have 2 baby guinea pigs about 3 to 4 weeks old that have mange, can they use ivermectin medications or do i just go to the vet and ask their opinions? My country's vet don't really have much experience with guinea pigs and I'm scared of vets due to their mother dying(although i just got her for 2 weeks i cried hard like i've had her for years as she dies on my hands while i was on my way to the vet) because of wrong medication and the treatment from the previous owner.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3820 Post(s)

Re: 3 weeks baby guinea pigs with mange

Guinea pigs have to weigh at least 350 grams before they can be treated with ivermectin. Before then, they can have kitten Revolution.

What country are you in? Medications sometimes go by different names in different countries.

Are you sure it's not a fungal infection?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for the quick reply. Im not really sure but they do scratch their body from time to time, i just recently found out yesterday after holding them. Here's a picture of the bald patch. He has at least 4 of those bald patches on his body. I live at east Malaysia.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200115_191204.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	86620

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3820 Post(s)

That doesn't look like hair loss from mites. Mites are microscopic and burrow into the skin. The pig scratches, but the hair loss isn't complete in an area -- some hair remains. There are some pictures here: http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html.

Can you get an antifungal cream? A very common one used in the US is Lotrimin, but here's some general info about them that you might use to find a brand where you are: https://patient.info/infections/fung...ngal-medicines.

If you can find a cream, apply it twice daily to each spot, rubbing it in well with a q-tip. Do this for several days. If it helps, keep on doing it even after hair begins to regrow, because a fungus is hard to get rid of.

If it doesn't help, or if the spots get worse after several days, then stop the antifungal cream and switch to an antibacterial cream. Apply it the same way, but be doubly careful about rubbing it in well so the pig can't ingest any of it when grooming itself.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alright, i keep you up to date on how the babies are doing after i found the medicines. I could try finding them from pet shops and regular medicinal shops for lotrimin or something similar. Also is it okay if i give them antifungal shower?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3820 Post(s)

I'd try a human pharmacy -- you'd probably have more luck. Antifungal creams are used for things like athlete's foot, so should be readily available.

You could give them a bath (not a shower) with antifungal shampoo, but I doubt it would clear up areas that are that devoid of hair. If you do give them one, be sure to rinse well.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I found some antifungal creams from the local pharmacy it's not lotrimin but it does contain the ingredients from the link that you have provided eg clotrimazole. I'll post an update after a week on how the babies are doing. Thank you again for the quick response and help with the situation im having.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3820 Post(s)

The cream with clotrimazole should work. Keep us posted on how things are going.

9. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey, it's been 2 days after I've given them the antifungal cream and it looks like theylq are healing. The red bald patch are turning pink and some of the red blood dots are clearing.

Now that im not that much worried about the bald patch, it seem they have dust mites. They have tiny black dot on their white fur. Any solutions for that?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3820 Post(s)

Mites are microscopic and burrow into the skin. Can you post a clear, well-lit picture of the black dots?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's a picture from his ear, I'm not sure if you could see them clearly. They have them all over their body ever since I got them from the previous owner.

Name:	IMG_20200119_154422.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	86640

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3820 Post(s)

Are those things stuck to the hair shaft, so that you have to pull them off the end of the hair? Or can you flick them off with your finger?

If they're stuck, they're lice nits, and you'll need to treat all your pigs for lice. If you can flick them off, they could be flea dirt. But in either case, you should be able to see the living bugs moving on the pig.

Does that black stuff wash off if you give him a bath?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingFishes View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply. Im not really sure but they do scratch their body from time to time, i just recently found out yesterday after holding them. Here's a picture of the bald patch. He has at least 4 of those bald patches on his body. I live at east Malaysia.

Name:	IMG_20200115_191204.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	86620
    Update to this part, this is the 2nd time for to day that I'm giving him his cream but he seems like he doesn't want to be touched there while the bald patch at both his side is fine to touch. He would try to run, try to nibble my finger or be squirmish when I try to lifting his fur to that area. Does that mean anything or is it normal?

Name:	IMG_20200119_234059.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	86641

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Are those things stuck to the hair shaft, so that you have to pull them off the end of the hair? Or can you flick them off with your finger?

If they're stuck, they're lice nits, and you'll need to treat all your pigs for lice. If you can flick them off, they could be flea dirt. But in either case, you should be able to see the living bugs moving on the pig.

Does that black stuff wash off if you give him a bath?
    The black stuff are stucked to their fur and they can't be flicked away. How do I treat them of lice? Do I have to go to the vet or is there shampoo or medicine that's found in the pet store.

Also I haven't given them a bath because I'm not ready to give them a bath yet as it's my first time having them and I haven't bought any shampoo too.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3820 Post(s)

Here's how to treat them. It will work for both lice and mites: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...mites-and-lice.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Here's how to treat them. It will work for both lice and mites: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...mites-and-lice.
    Will these be okay for babies that is 4 weeks old? I've read them before and that question of them being still babies and 4 weeks old popped up. As im not sure if they even weight more than 350g

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3820 Post(s)

You need a scale. It's the best piece of medical equipment you can have, and if you weigh them regularly, it can alert you to possible illnesses even before you notice any other symptoms. You should be able to find a scale that weighs in both ounces and grams in any store that sells a lot of kitchen supplies.

User Tag List